Women's Soccer Falls to Boston University, 1-0

DURHAM, N.H. — Sophomore goalkeeper Erica Correa (Cheshire, Conn.) registered four saves, but a goal midway through the second frame proved to be too much, as the University of New Hampshire women's soccer team fell to Boston University, 1-0, Thursday afternoon at Bremner Field.

The loss drops UNH to 3-9-1 overall and 1-2 in America East play, while BU earns its sixth straight win, improving to 11-2-1 and 4-0 in conference action.

Tiya Gallegos scored the game-winning tally in the 61st minute to give the Terriers a 1-0 lead they would not relinquish. Jessica Luscinski set up the goal, servicing a pass inside the box and Gallegos was able to get a foot on it, putting it into the right side of the net at 60:47.

Both teams remained scoreless in the first frame, but the Terriers held the edge in both shots (14-0) and corner kicks (9-0). BU also posted four shots on goal in the first stanza, with four different Terriers notching on goal attempts.   

Despite the early disadvantages, UNH came out strong in the second frame notching seven shots, six of which were on goal. The 'Cats also limited BU's attack, allowing seven shots and only one on goal attempt in the frame.

New Hampshire nearly drew first blood in the 41st minute of the second half when Hannah Blondin (East Hampton, Conn.) threw a ball across the field to Brooke Duchaney (Hampton Falls, N.H.) at the left flank and she sent a pass to Monique Lamotte (Tampa, Fla.) inside the box but her shot was turned away by BU goalkeeper Alice Binns.

About two minutes later Jordyn Krall (Duxbury, Mass.) tracked down a loose ball in the box and fired a shot that was headed straight for the back of the net but Binns made a diving stop and smothered the ball, ending any chance of the 'Cats breaking the deadlocked tie.

In the 21st minute of the second frame the Wildcats were at it again when Stephanie Gilkenson (Cranston, R.I.) sent a free kick to Kelsi O'Neil (Hampton, N.H.) at the left flank and she set up Krall with a pass just outside the box, but her shot was fired directly at Binns and she was able to harness it in for the save.

Binns finished the contest with six saves in net for the Terriers, earning her fourth shutout of the season.

Krall led New Hampshire with three shots, all of which were on goal. Gallegos and Luscinski tallied four shots apiece to lead the way for Boston University.

The Wildcats are back in action Sunday, Oct. 9 (2 p.m.) when they travel to Stony Brook University to take on the Seawolves at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium.
View: Mobile | Desktop