DURHAM, N.H. - Senior forward Morgan Keefe (South Burlington, Vt.) scored her second goal of the season, but a potential rally fell short as the University of New Hampshire women's soccer team was edged, 2-1, by Holy Cross on Thursday night at Bremner Field.

The Wildcats drop to 1-7-1 with their fifth one-goal loss of the season, while the Crusaders improve to 5-3-1. The ‘Cats, who are still 16-7-1 all-time versus Holy Cross, fall to 10-2-0 at home against the Crusaders as they lose in Durham for the first time in nine matches dating back to Oct. 21, 1990.

Trailing 2-0 in the 68th minute, Keefe injected energy into the Wildcats and ignited a rally. Junior Marika Posehn (Duncan, British Columbia) dropped the ball into the right corner for sophomore Jordyn Krall (Duxbury, Mass.), who drove it into the box where Keefe used her upper body to knock the ball into the back of the net to cut the deficit in half. Krall, who was named America East Player of the Game, and Posehn earned their first collegiate points with the assists.

UNH began to control play, getting a pair of scoring chances from sophomore Alyssa Michel (Bellingham, Wash.) that did not pan out. In the 74th minute, senior Meg Wiley (Norwell, Mass.) drove the ball toward the near post from 40 yards out on the right. Michel, who was running through the box left to right, beat a defender and put a foot on the ball, but knocked it just wide. In the 88th minute, Michel again had the ball right in front of the net after a pass from Keefe, but drove the ball just over the crossbar.

Holy Cross jumped on the board and snapped a 252:51 scoreless streak in Durham dating back to Oct. 15, 2002 when Paige Harrison took advantage of a loose ball and put it in the back of the net in the 32nd minute. After Shelby Stand's blast from the left side of the box was saved at the near post by senior goalkeeper Ally Yost (Langhorne, Pa.), the rebound came back out and deflected to the middle of the box where Harrison ran on to the ball and drove it into the open right side of the net.

In the 56th minute, the Crusaders widened their lead to two when Chelsi Pugliese received a feed from Katherine Donnelly on the left side of the box and snuck a low shot past Yost and inside the far post.

Five minutes later Keefe had a chance to put UNH on the board, but her blast from 25 yards out was snatched out of the top left side of the net by Holy Cross goalkeeper Jessica Stone. Keefe would find the back of the net only six minutes later, however.

Yost again kept her team in the game with some great saves, including a diving stop to rob Stand of a goal in the opening minutes. Yost made nine saves, while Stone stopped two shots.

The game was perfectly balanced in the box score with shots even at 16 apiece and each team taking three corner kicks.

The Wildcats return to action Sunday, Sept. 27 at 2 p.m. when they open America East play with a trip to Stony Brook's LaValle Stadium.

View: Mobile | Desktop