UNH, Dartmouth women's soccer play to 1-1 draw
Chiara Best

DURHAM, N.H.. -- Chiara Best (Rose Valley, Pa.) gave the University of New Hampshire women's soccer team a 1-0 lead in the 31st minute, but Dartmouth College tied the score with 14 seconds remaining in the first half and Thursday night's match ended in a 1-1 draw at Bremner Field.

UNH is now 1-2-2 on the season while Dartmouth remained unbeaten at 1-0-2.

Best netted the first goal of the game at 30:24 when her left-footed blast from 30 yards on the left wing snuck inside the near post. Shannon Oltman (Edmonds, Wash.) set up the tally with a throw-in on the left sideline.

Dartmouth tied the game, 1-1, at 44:46 on pressure from a corner kick when Monica Martin de Bustamante flicked the ball in the box and Colleen Kelly's header caromed off the post into the net.

UNH goalkeeper Liz MacKay (Scituate, Mass.) was credited with three saves, including one in the pair of 10-minute overtime sessions. DC goalie Anne Marbarger also made three saves, one of which came in OT.

Both teams had strong scoring chances to break the tie late in the second half. UNH's best opportunity came when Best ran down a long service into the penalty box and one-timed a shot wide of the left post. Moments later, the Big Green almost took the lead as Annie Stanley's half-volley from 20 yards was denied by MacKay at the left post.

Midway through the first overtime, shots by Christina Ferraris and Sarah Johnson of the Big Green were cleared away from the goal line by UNH defenders Katie Sullivan (Worcester, Mass.) and Lindsey Smagula (Bedford, N.H.), respectively.

Early in the second extra session, Best nearly struck again when her low blast caromed off a diving Marbarger's hands wide of the left post. On the ensuing corner kick, a header by Ashlee Cieslak (Greendale, Wisc.) sailed high of the crossbar.

The Wildcats return to action Sept. 12 at home vs. the University of Massachusetts. Game time at Lewis Fields is 1 p.m.

View: Mobile | Desktop