Simpson Extends Goal-Scoring Streak to 10 Games; Women's Lax Upended 17-5 at UMass

AMHERST, Mass.Jenny Simpson (New Canaan, Conn.) extended her goal-scoring streak to 10 games with a pair of goals, but the University of New Hampshire women's lacrosse team was defeated 17-5 by the University of Massachusetts in Wednesday afternoon's snowstorm at McGuirk Alumni Stadium.

UNH fell to 0-2 on the season while UMass improved to 4-0.

UNH starting goalkeeper Taylor Hurwitz (Holland, Pa.) exited the game at 13:58 of the first half with the Wildcats trailing 7-3; she was credited with two saves and was charged with the loss. Kathleen O'Keefe (Chatham, N.J.) played the final 43:58 minutes and was not credited with a save.

UNH's other goals were scored by Chelsea Cyester (Parker, Colo.), Kate Keagins (Bay Shore, N.Y.) and Laura Puccia (Fairport, N.Y.). Rachael Nock (Severna Park, Md.) recorded her first career point with an assist. Keagins was also credited with four ground balls, four draw controls and three caused turnovers. Cori Rees (East Hampstead, N.H.) finished with three ground balls and three caused turnvoers.

UMass was led offensively by Katie Ferris (five goals, five assists), Nina Sarcona (3g, 1a), Lauren Terracciano (2g, 1a) and Jesse O'Donnell (1g, 2a). Starting goalie Katie Florence made five saves and surrendered three goals in 38:51. Jamie Schiloski stopped one shot the rest of the way.

The Minutewomen scored twice in the opening minute to quickly build a 2-0 lead. Puccia, at the left doorstep, converted Nock's pass from the left wing into a goal at 26:32. Cori Murray scored at 21:25 to reestablish a two-goal lead. Simpson then corralled a loose ball in the attack zone on the right wing. She raced past a defender to the middle of the fan and fired a low shot into the cage to once again lift the 'Cats within one goal, 3-2, at 18:09.

UMass responded with goals by Ferris (at 16:08) and Sarcona (15:21) to pull ahead 5-2 and prompt New Hampshire to call time out.

Simpson struck again – this time on a free-position shot from the top of the fan into the upper-left corner of the cage – at 14:40 to make the score 5-3.

The Minutewomen quickly regained momentum, however with tallies at 14:12 and 13:58 to push the lead to 7-3 and start a run of 10 consecutive goals. The home squad scored three more times in the next four minutes to go ahead 10-3, then neither team scored the final 10:02 of the first half.

UMass went into halftime with a 16-8 shot advantage and 9-7 edge in ground balls.

Massachusetts continued to pull away by opening the second half with five consecutive goals to extend the advantage to 15-3 at 18:52 of the second half.

Keagins ended the stretch of 10 consecutive UMass goals at 16:08 on a free position from the left wing with a shot into the upper-left corner. Cyester charged through the fan to score her first goal of the season at 13:30 and trim the deficit to 15-5.

The 'Cats would get no closer the rest of the way, however, as the Minutewomen potted goals at 10:05 and 6:50 to cap the scoring.

UMass finished with the advantage in shots (24-11), ground balls (19-16) and draw controls (15-9, including 8-2 in the second half). The teams combined for 43 turnovers, 22 of which were committed by UNH.

New Hampshire returns to action March 7 at home against the University of Connecticut. Game time at Memorial Field is 3:30 p.m.

View: Mobile | Desktop