UNH women's lacrosse fends off Vanderbilt, 8-6

Dosdall leads 'Cat attack with goal, two assists

DURHAM, N.H. - Jess Burnap (New Canaan, Conn.) recorded a goal and assist 12 seconds apart to double the Wildcats' two-goal halftime lead and the University of New Hampshire women's lacrosse team fended off Vanderbilt University's rally to record an 8-6 non-conference victory Friday afternoon at Memorial Field.

UNH improved to 4-4 while Vanderbilt, now 2-6 lifetime vs. the Wildcats, fell to 3-5.

With the Wildcats leading 4-2 at halftime, Burnap set up Katie Leland's (Timonium, Md.) second goal of the game to extend the advantage to 5-2 at 32:34. Burnap took possession of the ensuing draw control and scored 12 seconds after Leland's strike to give the 'Cats a 6-2 lead.

In a game featuring staunch defense and patient attacks, Moira Talbot (Marblehead, Mass.) netted her second goal of the game to give New Hampshire its largest lead, 7-2, at 39:13 and that proved to be the game-winning tally.

Vanderbilt's Kate Hickman (four goals) responded 59 seconds later, however, to pull the Commodores within 7-3. Margie Curran scored consecutive goals, albeit nearly 8:30 apart, at 46:45 and 55:14 to trim the deficit to 7-5.

In a bizarre sequence in which Vandy goalkeeper Ashley Bastinelli made two saves and committed a turnover, UNH's Cristina Covucci (Concord, Mass.) gained possession and fired into an open net to reestablish a three-goal cushion, 8-5, with 3:11 remaining.

UNH had two possessions resulting in turnovers before the Commodores' Hickman scored with 1:16 to play. Talbot won possession of the ensuing draw control and 30 seconds ran off the clock before VU forced a turnover. Margie Curran's shot rang off the crossbar with 14 seconds remaining. Vanderbilt maintained possession but could not get another shot off until the waning seconds.

New Hampshire goalkeeper Stacey Plati (Nashua, N.H.) recorded 10 saves, nine of which came in the second half. VU's Bastinelli stopped nine shots, including seven in the first half.

Hickman gave the Commodores a 1-0 lead with an unassisted goal at 9:04. Leland, with the assistance of Laura Dosdall (Wellesley, Mass.; goal, two assists), evened the score at 14:14 and Kristin Blanchette (Sudbury, Mass.) gave the Wildcats a 2-1 lead just 45 seconds later.

Hickman converted a pass from Kendall Thrift (two assists) at 19:09 but UNH scored five consecutive goals bridging the first and second halves to take control of the game. Dosdall opened the run at 22:58, then set up Talbot cutting from behind the net with 38 seconds remaining in the first half to give the 'Cats a 4-2 lead.

UNH returns to action with its America East opener at UMBC on April 3 (12 p.m.). The next Wildcat home game is April 6 vs. Yale. Game time at Memorial Field is 3 p.m.

View: Mobile | Desktop