UNH women's lacrosse edged by Virginia Tech, 9-8, in OT

DURHAM, N.H. - University of New Hampshire senior Jessie Groszkowski (Reisterstown, Md.) scored three goals, including the 150th of her career, but a five-point effort from Sam Sybert led the Virginia Tech women's lacrosse to Sunday afternoon's 9-8 overtime victory against UNH at Memorial Field.

Trailing 7-4 midway through the second half, the Hokies (2-9, 0-4 Big East) began their comeback on a goal by Katie Madden (two goals) at 45:16. Lindsey Welch (two goals, assist) pulled the visitors within 7-6 just 1:28 later. UNH's Kristin Blanchette (Sudbury, Mass.; goal, assist) reestablished a two-goal Wildcat lead with an unassisted tally at 48:46. Sybert (two goals, three assists) struck 28 seconds later to trim the deficit to 8-7, then Madden scored with 2:56 remaining in regulation to tie the score.

With 1:47 to play, the Hokies were whistled for offsides at the offensive end of the field, but the Wildcats (0-9, 0-0 America East) immediately turned the ball over on their ensuing possession. Neither team produced a shot the rest of regulation, forcing a six-minute overtime session.

Virginia Tech generated a 2-0 shot advantage in the first three-minutes, but the teams switched ends of the field with the score tied, 8-8. Stephanie Jones netted her second goal of the game 43 seconds into the following three-minute session to give the Hokies a 9-8 lead, and it proved to be the only goal during overtime. UNH's best opportunity to tie the game occurred with 40 seconds left, when Jessie Groszkowski (Reisterstown, Md.), already with three goals in the game, broke free down the middle of the fan. She passed off to Kelly Blaney (Stony Brook, N.Y.; two goals), whose shot from the right side was turned aside by VT goalie Carrie Hill. The Wildcats gained control of the rebound, but then went offsides in an attempt to gather a ground ball with 12 seconds left. The Hokies quickly moved the ball downfield to secure the victory.

Hill, who played the final 53:20 of the game, earned the victory by making four saves. She allowed five goals. Starting goalie Jamie McGraw was not credited with a save when she exited the game at 12:40 of the first half with the Hokies trailing 3-2.

UNH goalie Danielle Martin (Ellicott City, Md.) made 13 saves, nine of which came in the second half.

Sybert opened the game scoring at 2:04 of the first half but Groszkowski scored 13 seconds later to tie the game, 1-1. Welch put the visitors back in front, 2-1, at 4:38 but one goal from Jess Burnap (New Canaan, Conn.) and two by Blaney gave the 'Cats their first lead of the game, 4-2.

The Wildcats took a 5-4 lead into halftime and extended it to 7-4 on consecutive Groszkowksi tallies at 34:34 and 38:17.

New Hampshire returns to action at home April 12 for its America East conference opener against the University of Vermont. Game time at Memorial Field is 1 p.m.

View: Mobile | Desktop