BOSTON – The fifth-ranked Boston University women's ice hockey team broke a 1-1 tie with three goals spanning 2 minutes, 26 seconds in the third period en route to a 5-2 victory against the University of New Hampshire in Sunday afternoon's action at Walter Brown Arena.

UNH, which entered the game with a seven-game winning streak including three consecutive shutouts, is now 8-3-0 overall and 2-1-0 in Hockey East. BU, which has won three straight in the series and is 4-1-3 in the last eight meetings, improved to 8-1-1, 2-0-1.

Wildcats' goalie Lindsey Minton (Richardson, Texas) made 16 saves. BU counterpart Kerrin Sperry stopped 18 shots. The Terriers' attack was led by Jenelle Kohanchuk and Jilliane Kirchner with two goals and an assist apiece.

In a defensive period that saw just seven total shots on goal, UNH took a 1-0 lead into the first intermission. The Wildcats were whistled for a minor penalty at 12:16 but the penalty kill unit, which entered the game with a 96.2% success rate (50-for-52), did not yield a shot during the ensuing two minutes.

Nearly two minutes later, Sarah Cuthbert (East Falmouth, Mass.) scored the game's first goal – her second of the season – at 16:25. Sarah Campbell (Saratoga Springs, N.Y.) won a battle for the puck along the boards in the defensive zone and pushed the puck ahead to Cuthbert. Cuthbert carried the puck through the neutral zone along the right boards to the right point and continued to the circle, where she fired a shot past Sperry. The assist marked Campbell's first career point.

New Hampshire carried 50 seconds of a power play into the second period but did not sustain an offensive attack vs. the Terriers. The Wildcats went to the penalty box at 2:55, but the Terriers followed 16 seconds later. On UNH's abbreviated power play, the 'Cats created two dangerous chances. Sperry stopped the initial shot from the right circle by Hannah Armstrong (Aurora, Ontario), but Kristina Lavoie (Fonthill, Ontario) corralled the puck in the slot and drifted to the left circle, where her low shot was blocked by Sperry's stick.

BU tied the score, 1-1, at 6:15 of the second stanza when Jenelle Kohanchuk maneuvered around a defenseman in the right circle before beating Minton. The tally, which was set up by Lauren Cherewyk and Kaleigh Fratkin, ended Minton's shutout streak at 219 minutes, 43 seconds.

Kathryn Miller's blast from the left circle sailed over Minton's blocker side into the upper-right corner of the net to give BU a 2-1 lead at 8:32 of the third period. Moments later, Minton stopped Kirchner's initial shot from the left circle but Kohanchuk, alone at the left post, deposited the rebound into the open side of the net just 13 seconds after the Terriers went in front.

BU netted a power-play goal at 10:58 to extend its lead to 4-1 when Kohanchuk, deep on the left side, executed a back-door pass to Kirchner, who redirected the puck into the open net.

UNH pulled Minton in favor of an extra skater at 15:56 and scored three seconds later to trim the deficit to two goals, 4-2. Kristine Horn (Utica, Mich.) converted a centering pass from Julie Allen (Brampton, Ontario) into a goal. Kailey Chappell (Pickering, Ontario) was also credited with an assist.

The 'Cats immediately went on their fourth power-play opportunity of the game but did not record a shot in that two-minute span, then BU scored 20 seconds later to build a 5-2 advantage. Minton stopped Holly Lorms' initial shot but Kirchner scored off the rebound.

New Hampshire returns to action Nov. 13 (2 p.m.) at home against the University of Connecticut. Tickets are available at the Whittemore Center Box Office, by calling 1-800-745-3000 or by clicking here. The game is part of the 3rd Annual Wildcat Food Drive -- bring a canned item to donate and you can purchase a discounted ticket.

View: Mobile | Desktop