Men's Soccer Takes Down Boston University in Overtime, 1-0

DURHAM, N.H. – Senior defender Alex Hussein (Haverhill, Mass.) tallied his third goal of the season in the 97th minute of play to give the University of New Hampshire a 1-0 victory over Boston University. The win improves the Wildcats to 6-7-4 overall and 2-3-2 in conference play while the Terriers fall to 6-8-4 overall and 3-2-2 in America East action.

UNH held the upper hand in the shots category through each period, including a 4-2 advantage in the first half. Each goalie made one save in the first half. New Hampshire came out eager to score in the second half with shot after shot. Robert Palumbo (Kingston, N.H.) rocketed a shot in the 49th minute of play that nearly found the back of the net, but hit the crossbar and went out of play.

Jordan Thomas (Mohnton, Pa.) connected on a corner kick with a header attempt that was saved by a diving Terrier keeper Nick Thomson. Boston University's Anthony Ciccone tested Wildcat goalkeeper Travis Worra (Lancaster, Pa.) ion the 71st minute with a blast from the top of the box. Worra made the save to keep the score tied at 0-0. At the end of regulation, the score was deadlocked at 0-0 and headed for overtime.

Ugo Uche (Ann Arbor, Mich.) nearly tallied the game-winning goal in the 94th minute of play but was denied by a BU defender. The resiliency of the Wildcat attack paid off in the 96th minute of play when Jeffrey Turner (Blandon, Pa.) launched a throw in to the middle of the box. After the ball bounced around the box, Josh Bronner (Belchertown, Mass.) sent a pass to Hussein who blasted the ball into the net. At the end of the match, New Hampshire prevailed, 1-0.

Worra tallied his fifth shutout of the season after making saves on all four shots he faced. Thomson made a total of six saves on the seven shots he faced.

New Hampshire will wrap up regular season play at Dartmouth Tuesday, Oct. 30 in a non-conference matchup. Kickoff is slated for 6 p.m.  

View: Mobile | Desktop