Men's Soccer Plays to 1-1 Draw with UMass

DURHAM, N.H. – The University of New Hampshire men's soccer team played to a 1-1 draw against the University of Massachusetts Saturday night at Bremner Field. The draw puts the Wildcats at 3-2-2 on the year while the Minutemen are now 2-2-2. Jordan Thomas (Mohnton, Pa.) scored the goal for the Wildcats on a penalty kick.

The game remained deadlocked at 0-0 until the 39th minute of play when Robert Palumbo (Kingston, N.H.) was fouled in the box, warranting a penalty kick for the Wildcats. Thomas was selected to take the PK and put it away in the lower left corner of the net for the 1-0 lead. UMass nearly tied the game up in the 43rd minute of play when Brett Canepa launched a one-timer, however Travis Worra (Lancaster, Pa.) made a diving stop to contain the lead for New Hampshire.

In the second half, both teams kept the offensive pressure coming with shots. With four seconds remaining in regulation, Canepa found a bouncing ball at the top of the box and was able to lob the shot over Worra and the Wildcat defense, evening the score and sending the game into overtime.

In the second overtime period with minutes left in the match, Worra provided a big stop for New Hampshire with a diving fingertip save, keeping the game tied. Worra's momentum was moving him one way, however he was able to extend in the opposite direction and make the save. At the end of the match, the score remained even at 1-1.

Massachusetts outshot the Wildcats by a tally of 10-9 in the match, with a shots-on-goal advantage of 8-4. Worra made seven saves on the eight shots he faced while Massachusetts keeper Brian Frame saved three of the four shots the Wildcats sent at him. Josh Bronner (Belchertown, Mass.) tallied a pair of shots on net for New Hampshire while Palumbo also notched two shots.

The Wildcats return to action Tuesday, Sept. 18 when they travel to Rhode Island to take on the University of Rhode Island Rams. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.

View: Mobile | Desktop