Men's Soccer Draws Even with Hartford, 1-1, in Double Overtime

DURHAM, N.H. — Freshman forward David Schlatter (Marlton, N.J.) punched in his team-best third goal of the season, as the University of New Hampshire men's soccer team battled to a 1-1 double overtime tie with the University of Hartford Tuesday afternoon at Lewis Fields.

The draw puts UNH at 5-6-1 overall and 1-1-1 in America East play on the season, while Hartford moves to 3-7-4 and 0-1-2 in conference action.

Schlatter helped New Hampshire get on the board early when he found the back of the net in 15th minute of the first half. Jeffrey Turner (Blandon, Pa.) serviced a ball into the box on a corner kick, connecting with Schlatter for a header that laced the back of the net at 14:15. Turner was credited with an assist on the play.

Steven Palumbo (Kingston, N.H.) nearly doubled that advantage with just over 12 minutes remaining in the first half when he fired a shot that was saved by Hartford goalkeeper Luke Citriniti. Ugochukwu Uche (Ann Arbor, Mich.) got the play in motion when he sent a pass to Charlie Roche (Haverhill, Mass.) on the right side and he headed it to Palumbo at the top of the box, but Citriniti pulled it in just under the crossbar.

The Wildcats entered the second half with a 1-0 advantage, controlling play with an edge in both shots (9-5) and corner kicks (4-3). New Hampshire also posted five shots on goal in the stanza, a mark that stood as its highest total of the contest.

Despite UNH's lead, Hartford came out strong in the second half, holding the edge in shots (6-5) and corner kicks (6-1). Creating more opportunities for themselves ended up paying off, as the Hawks knotted up the score at 1-1 in the 76th minute of play. Necas Collins slid a pass to David Bernhardsson on the left flank and he found the left side of the net at 75:39 to even the score. 

UNH had a chance to take back the lead with just over six minutes remaining in regulation when Alex Hussein (Haverhill, Mass.) and Uche posted back-to-back shots on goal, but were turned away on both attempts. Uche started the play off with a shot from just outside the box, but Citriniti got a hand on it and deflected it away. Hussein was quick to the draw and picked up the rebound on the right side of the box, but Citriniti smothered his shot.

With both teams entering extra play with the score even, New Hampshire had its best chance to put the game away for good less than a minute into the first overtime when Brad Hilton (Merrimack, N.H.) missed on a shot high. Palumbo drove the ball deep in Hartford's zone and then played it back to Hilton at the top of the box, but he missed from about 20 yards out.

The Wildcats held the edge in shots by a margin of 16-14 in the contest, but the visitors controlled the corner kicks with a 10-5 advantage.

Travis Worra (Lancaster, Pa.) finished with six saves in net for the Wildcats, while Citriniti stopped seven shots for the Hawks.

The Wildcats are back in action when they take on the University of Maryland Baltimore County Friday, Oct. 14 (7 p.m.) at UMBC Soccer Stadium. The game will be broadcast live on FOX Soccer.
View: Mobile | Desktop