DURHAM, N.H. - Junior goalkeeper Colin O'Donnell (Springfield, Mass.) compiled six saves as the University of New Hampshire played Stony Brook University to a 1-1 draw Saturday afternoon at Lewis Fields.

The Wildcats move to 8-5-1 and 5-0-1 in conference play with the tie, as for the Seawolves, they adjust to 4-9-3 and 3-2-1 against America East opponents.

With the tie, the Wildcats clinch a share of the America East regular-season title for just second time in program history, the first since 1994, when they shared the title with Boston University. In addition to the title, the tie also ensures the ‘Cats the No. 1 seed in the upcoming conference tournament.

Despite the Seawolves tallying the first three shots in the contest and outshooting the Wildcats 11 to four in the first stanza, the Wildcats made the most of early chances and would draw first blood in the contest. Senior back Joe Annese (Attleboro, Mass.) punched in the game's first score off a penalty kick from the right flank and into the left corner of the net past a diving Anthony Rogic at 9:21 in the first period.

Following Annese's tally, the two squads would battle through nearly 50 minutes of deadlocked play, until the Seawolves rattled off five shots in a span of 10 minutes, finally finding the back of the net at 59:33 in the second period. Antonio Crespi sparked the score as he brought the ball deep into the box and fired a shot but was blocked. The loose ball was tracked down by Berian Gobeil, who fired it past Chris Devine (Hampton, N.H.) from the right of the box, into the lower left hand corner of the net. Crespi was credited with the assist on the play.

From there, UNH would notch five of the next six shots in the contest, with no success finding the back of the net.  Chris Banks (Westborough, Mass.) tallied the final two shots of the stanza, but could not get either attempt on goal.  

In the first overtime, Banks would have a second chance at striking the back of the net with nearly 30 seconds left as he picked up a service pass from Alex Russell (Harrisburg, Pa) at the box, but missed high.

The Wildcats would have one final chance to break the tie in the 108th minute of the second overtime as Banks setup Robin Gerum (Kullavik, Sweden) with a pass at the right hand corner of the box, but missed high. UNH outshot Stony Brook six to one in both overtimes.

Stony Brook tallied 18 shots in the contest, while New Hampshire finished with 15. Banks led the ‘Cats with nine shots, while Joe Corsello (York, Maine) notched two of his own. As for the Seawolves, Crespi and Gobeil led the way with five and four shots, respectively.

The Wildcats return to action on Wednesday, Oct. 28 when they play host to the Binghamton Bearcats, at 2:30 p.m. at Lewis Fields.

View: Mobile | Desktop