Brian Levey

BURLINGTON, Vt. - With solid efforts on both sides of the field, the University of New Hampshire men's soccer team extended its unbeaten streak to four matches with a 2-0 victory over Army Sunday afternoon at the Vermont Smith Barney/NIKE Soccer Classic at Centennial Field.

UNH (3-0-1) jumped on the board in the 19th minute, as Chris Bennice (Scotia, N.Y.) started the play with a throw-in to sophomore John Bergqvist (Hollviken, Sweden). Bergqvist found Ross Fishbain (Racine, Wis.) alone at the far post and flicked a pass his way, which Fishbain converted into his second goal of the season.

With the score still 1-0 in the 78th minute, the Wildcats earned an insurance goal thanks to the bench players. Bryan Stewart (Swanzey, N.H.) sent a pass across the mouth of the Army goal which fellow sophomore Adam Marcellus (Malvern, Pa.) headed in for his first goal of the season.

Junior goalkeeper Brian Levey (Pittsburgh, Pa.) continued his shutout streak, extending it to 516 minutes and 44 seconds with his fourth shutout of the season. Levey, who made four saves during the match, has moved into second place on UNH's all-time shutout list with his 11th career blanking, behind only Steve Baccari.

Both teams had their chances during the match, as the Wildcats took 15 shots while the Black Knights earned 14 shots. New Hampshire played a relatively clean match, committing only eight fouls, and kept the pressure on the Army defense with five corner kicks. Army goalkeeper John Michael Gallogly picked up three saves during the afternoon.

Vermont upset nationally ranked San Francisco, 2-1, in Sunday's second match to win the weekend tournament. Bergqvist, Levey, and junior back Pedro Braz (East Providence, R.I.) were named to the All-Tournament Team.

New Hampshire heads to Cambridge, Mass., next weekend for the Harvard Invitational Tournament. The Wildcats will face Furman on Friday, Sept. 16, at 1:30 p.m. and Coastal Carolina on Sunday, Sept. 18, at 11 a.m.

View: Mobile | Desktop