No. 9 New Hampshire hockey falls to UMass, 4-3, in OT
Mike Radja

DURHAM, N.H. - Matt Anderson recorded two goals, including the game-winning power-play goal with 3.6 seconds remaining in overtime, and an assist to lead the University of Massachusetts men's ice hockey team to Saturday night's 4-3 victory against ninth-ranked University of New Hampshire at the Whittemore Center.

UNH, which entered the game with a five-game unbeaten streak (4-0-1) is now 13-8-4 overall, 9-4-3 Hockey East. The Minutemen, who had lost five straight to the Wildcats and are 14-68-5 in the series, improve to 9-13-0, 6-9-0.

UMass went on its fifth power play of the game with 1:05 remaining in the extra session. With 20 seconds to play, UNH goaltender Kevin Regan (South Boston, Mass.) stopped Marvin Degon's shot from the high slot.

UNH iced the puck but Mark Matheson quickly advanced through the neutral zone to Stephen Werner (goal, assist). He entered the offensive zone and passed to Anderson, who scored from the high slot.

Regan finished with 25 saves, including two in the extra session. UMass' Gabe Winer stopped 37 shots, including one in OT and 17 in the second period.

UMass skated to a 2-1 lead through one period. The Minutemen netted the game's first goal to take a 1-0 lead at 6:31. With six seconds remaining on a UMass penalty, Werner picked up a loose puck in the high slot of the defensive zone and skated alone down the middle of the ice. He forced Regan down then pulled the puck to his forehand and tucked a shot into the open right side.

UNH tied the score, 1-1, at 9:30 on a goal by Joe Charlebois (Potsdam, N.Y.), who fired a screened shot from the left point. Daniel Winnik (Mississauga, Ontario), with the pass back to the point, Jacob Micflikier (Winnipeg, Manitoba) and were credited with assists.

The visitors regained the lead, 2-1, with 57.2 seconds remaining in the opening stanza when Anderson skated past a Wildcat defenseman as he entered the offensive zone to break in alone through the slot and fire a shot that trickled between Regan's legs and across the goal line. Mike Kostka, with the pass through the neutral zone that sprung Anderson, set up the tally.

In a scoreless second period, UNH generated a 17-7 shot advantage.

UNH tied the score on Winnik's power-play goal at 9:33 of the third period. Winer had stopped point-blank shots by Micflikier and Brian Yandle (Milton, Mass.) but could not get in position to stop Winnik's high backhander from the low slot.

UMass took its third lead of the game, 3-2, by capitalizing on a major penalty called against the 'Cats. Degon started the play with a pass from the high slot to Anderson in the right circle. Anderson centered the puck to Chris Capraro, who scored from the low slot at 14:20.

UNH pulled even yet again with 2:45 to play in the third when Mike Radja (Yorkville, Ill.) scored from the left circle. Matt Fornataro (Calgary, Alberta) and Brett Hemingway (Surrey, B.C.) were credited with assists.

New Hampshire returns to action Jan. 27 (7 p.m.) at Providence College. The next Wildcat home game is Feb. 10 vs. Merrimack College. Game time at the Whittemore Center is 7 p.m.

View: Mobile | Desktop