No. 10 UNH hockey falls to Providence, 4-3, in OT

DURHAM, N.H. – Colin MacDonald scored at 2:49 of overtime to lift the Providence College hockey team to Friday night’s 4-3 victory against the University of New Hampshire at the Whittemore Center. With the win, PC evened the best-of-three Hockey East quarterfinal series at 1-1 and the teams will play a decisive Game 3 on March 13 (7 p.m.) at the Whittemore Center.

Fourth-seeded UNH is now 19-13-6 while the fifth-seeded Friars improved to 16-13-7.

Providence converted a 2-on-1 breakaway into the game-winning goal as Bill McCreary carried the puck into the left circle and centered the puck to MacDonald in the slot. He faked a shot at the top of the crease and tucked the puck inside the right post.

UNH goaltender Mike Ayers (Hingham, Mass.) made 22 saves while PC goalie Bobby Goepfert stopped 26 shots.

The Wildcats took a 2-1 lead through one period of play. Jacob Micflikier (Winnipeg, Manitoba) opened the game scoring at 9:13 when his shot from the right circle sailed into the open right side of the net. Brian Yandle (Milton, Mass.), who made the cross-ice pass to Micflikier from the left circle, and Nathan Martz (Chilliwack, B.C.) set up the goal.

Providence tied the game, 1-1, just 38 seconds later on Chase Watson’s shot from the slot. Linemates Torry Gajda and Jonathan Goodwin were credited with assists. UNH regained the lead on Sean Collins’ (Reading, Mass.) third goal of the series at 15:18. His tally from the right doorstep was set up by Justin Aikins (South Surrey, B.C.) and Yandle.

The Friars tied the game, 2-2, by scoring the only goal of the second period. David Carpentier forged the tie when he one-timed Mike Robinson’s pass from the right corner into the back of the net. Eric Lundberg earned an assist on the play.

New Hampshire took its third lead of the game, 3-2, on a Preston Callander (Regina, Sask.) power-play goal at 4:18 of the third period. Callander, standing in front of the net, redirected Brett Hemingway’s (Surrey, B.C.) shot from the left point into the net. The Friars once again pulled even, 3-3, at 7:37 when Gajda scored off a rebound from the right circle. Dinos Stamoulis, whose initial shot from the high slot was stopped, and Watson set up the goal that forced overtime.


View: Mobile | Desktop