New Hampshire men's hockey ties Northeastern, 2-2

The Huskies notched a 2-2 tie on Friday night against top-ranked New Hampshire at Matthews Arena, improving their record to 1-1-2 and 0-0-1 in Hockey East.

NU goalie Keni Gibson played masterfully, stopping 43 shots, while New Hampshire (2-0-3, 0-0-1) got a similar effort from Mike Ayers, who made 40 saves.

"It was a crowd pleaser and a coach's nightmare," said NU head coach Bruce Crowder after the game. He credited Gibson with a great effort and complimented the Husky defense for clearing away the rebounds.

New Hampshire's Jim Abbott netted the first goal of the night, knocking a rebound past Gibson at 8:36 of the opening period. A UNH shot hit the far post and bounced to Abbott, who was able put it away. Preston Callande and Patrick Foley assisted on the play.

The Huskies came right back, winning the ensuing faceoff and tying the game at 1-1 only 23 seconds later. Tim Judy took the puck at center ice and scored his first goal of the season, assisted by Brian Tudrick and Trevor Reschny.

Senior Joe Mastronardi made the score 2-1 at 13:34 of the second period as Scott Selig and Eric Ortlip assisted. The goal was Mastronardi's second of the season.

UNH came back to tie the score at 2-2 less than three minutes later, as Sean Collins slid the puck between Gibson's skates at 16:10 in the second period.

The third period was dominated by the goalies, as the two combined to make 28 saves. The Huskies controlled play at the start, sending a barrage of shots at UNH goalie Avers, but he was unbeatable. Play evened out as the period went on, but both goalies continued to control the game and sent it into overtime.

The overtime period was more of the same, with the teams going back and forth and the goalies stopping everything. The 2-2 final gives NU an 8-3-4 record against first or second ranked teams since Crowder became head coach.

The Huskies take on Wisconsin on Saturday night in Matthews arena. Game time is 7 p.m.

View: Mobile | Desktop