Men’s Basketball Falls at Stony Brook, 65-49

STONY BROOK, N.Y. – Senior Chandler Rhoads (Berryville, Va.) registered a team-high 14 points to go along with seven rebounds, but the University of New Hampshire men's basketball team fell at Stony Brook University, 65-49, in America East conference play Saturday afternoon at Pritchard Gymnasium.

New Hampshire dips to 4-10 on the season and 0-2 in conference play, while Stony Brook improves to 10-4 overall and 1-0 in league action. 

In addition to Rhoads, junior Patrick Konan (Gainesville, Fla.) also reached double figures with 11 points to go along with two steals. Senior Ferg Myrick (Philadelphia, Pa.) notched seven points and a team-high eight rebounds.

Jameel Warney led the Seawolves with a game-high 18 points, while Tommy Brenton racked up 12 boards. Stony Brook shot 42.3 percent (22-52) from the floor and limited the Wildcats to 30.8 percent (16-52) from the field. The teams were evenly matched on the boards as Stony Brook held a slim advantage, 40-39. 

New Hampshire opened the contest with a 7-3 advantage as freshman Chris Orozco (Tenafly, N.J.) knocked down a 3-pointer and hit a pair of free throws for five early points at the 17:57 mark. Stony Brook answered with five quick points for the slim lead, but Konan drained a shot from beyond the arc to lift the Wildcats in front, 10-8, at 16:20.

After the teams traded just two points over the next four minutes, the Seawolves netted back-to-back baskets as Marcus Rouse hit a deep trey for the 15-12 lead at 8:34. 

From there, Brenton and Myrick traded baskets, but Stony Brook ended the half with a 14-6 run over the final 7:20 for the 32-22 lead at intermission. Rhoads paced the Wildcats with six points and three rebounds at the half, while Carson Puriefoy led the Seawolves with nine points.

After New Hampshire kicked off the second half with a jumper by Konan, the two teams alternated free throw attempts, before Rhoads hit a 3-pointer in transition to pull the Wildcats within seven, 35-29, at 17:38. Stony Brook answered with a 5-0 burst, but Myrick broke up the string as he muscled in a tough bucket down low and drew the foul for the 3-point play, trimming the deficit to 40-31 with 12:49 remaining. 

Stony Brook could not build more than a 12-point lead over the next four minutes to put the Wildcats away as Konan and Chris Matagrano (Sayreville, N.J.) worked the perimeter and inside, respectively, to keep the visitors in the game. With Stony Brook in front by 10 points, Rhoads was fouled on a 3-point attempt and he then drilled all three free throws to pull the Wildcats within 55-47 with 6:08 left to play.

SBU responded with eight unanswered points, capped with back-to-back 3-pointers, for the 16-point advantage to seal the victory.

New Hampshire returns to action on Wednesday, Jan. 5 when they visit UMBC at 7 p.m.

View: Mobile | Desktop