NEWTON, Mass.Whitney Frates (Woodstock, Vt.) scored her team-leading 10th goal of the season but the University of New Hampshire field hockey team was defeated 2-1 by 14th-ranked Boston College in Sunday afternoon's non-conference game at the Newton Campus Field.

UNH, which had defeated 15th-ranked Boston University on Saturday, is now 11-5 overall. BC improved to 10-5.

UNH, which trailed 2-0 at halftime, pulled within one goal, 2-1, at 53:08 on Frates' unassisted tally.

Tori Welch (East Hampstead, N.H.) was turned aside by BC goalkeeper Kristine Stigas in the 61st minute but the 'Cats continued to pressure and, less than one minute later, generated a penalty corner. Hayley Rausch (Severna Park, Md.) pushed the ball into play and a shot by Kara Conolly (Mohegan Lake, N.Y.) was stopped by Stigas.

Stigas was tested once again in the final minute, but she turned aside the shot off the stick of Kyle Lyons (White River Junction, Vt.) to preserve the one-goal lead.

The Eagles recorded just one shot in the second half, and it was Jenna Anctil's shot wide of the cage in the 47th minute. Despite being outshot 4-1 in the second half, BC held an 8-7 edge overall. New Hampshire finished with a 4-3 advantage in penalty corners.

UNH's Katherine Nagengast (Westborough, Mass.) was credited with four saves while Stigas stopped five shots.

"In the second half, we came out with a little bit more energy," 20th-year head coach Robin Balducci said. "We got in sync. After Saturday's emotional, physical win against Boston University, in the first half (Sunday) we came out a little out of sorts.

"But we put ourselves in a position to tie it against a very good BC team, and that's a positive," she added. "With a split against two highly-ranked teams on back-to-back days, I'm feeling good about this weekend."

Boston College, which threatened to score in the opening minutes on a penalty corner but Nagengast denied Anctil, took a 2-0 lead in the first half on goals by Courtney Tavener at 18:06 and Jacqui Moorfield at 31:42.

UNH's best offensive threat in the first half occurred on a shot by Frates that Stigas saved but lead to a corner that produced another shot on goal by Lyons.

In the closing minutes of the first half, Nagengast twice turned aside Tavener to keep the Wildcats within two goals.

New Hampshire returns to action Oct. 23 (3 p.m.) at Fairfield University. The Wildcats then play the last two regular-season games at home against the University of Louisville (Oct. 24; 12 p.m.) and University at Albany (Oct. 30; 1 p.m.).

View: Mobile | Desktop