CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. – Jenna Anctil scored with 2:35 remaining in the first overtime session to lift the 14th-ranked Boston College field hockey team to Sunday afternoon’s 3-2 non-conference victory against the University of New Hampshire at the Newton Campus Field Hockey Complex.

UNH is now 1-4 in overtime games this season – including 0-3 vs. nationally-ranked teams – and 7-9 overall. BC is 11-4.

“This was a good performance by our team, taking a nationally-ranked Boston College team into overtime,” UNH head coach Robin Balducci stated. “I’m excited about our ability to come back and our overtime play was very good. This was a good step forward heading into the last weeks of the regular season.”

The Wildcats controlled play early in the extra session and generated shots by Meg Shea (Melrose, Mass.) and Whitney Frates (Woodstock, Vt.). Shea’s shot was turned aside by the BC goalkeeper and Frates’ attempt went wide of the cage.

New Hampshire was awarded a penalty corner in the 74th minute and Sarah Craigue (Concord, N.H.) blasted a shot wide.

BC began to gain momentum and Chelsey Feole fired a shot wide in the 80th minute and another high in the 82nd minute on a penalty corner. The Eagles sustained pressure and Anctil potted her first goal of the season to end the game at 82:25.

UNH goalie Jenna Lehman (Kingston, Pa.) recorded four saves, all in the first half. The BC goalkeeper made two of her four saves in the overtime session.

The Eagles took a 1-0 lead at 21:52 when Kate Gillis, with the assistance of Kathleen Murphy and Jessica Roberts, scored on one of the team’s three first-half penalty corners.

New Hampshire pulled even, 1-1, at 32:59 on a goal by Leah Boody (Amesbury, Mass.). Hayley Rausch (Severna Park, Md.) was credited with an assist on the play.

The Eagles struck 2:39 into the second half to regain the lead. Tara Fernandes redirected a Katie Qugalia shot into the cage off a penalty corner.

Shea’s unassisted goal – her eighth tally of the season – lifted the Wildcats into a 2-2 tie at 61:01.

UNH recorded four of its 11 shots in the overtime session. BC finished with 18 shots overall, including three in OT.

New Hampshire returns to action Oct. 25 (1 p.m.) at Fairfield University. The Wildcats’ next home game is Senior Day on Nov. 2 against Albany. Game time at Memorial Field is 12 p.m.

View: Mobile | Desktop