New Hampshire field hockey upends Sacred Heart, 5-3

Skelley, White pace Wildcats with two goals, assist apiece

Kaitlyn Skelley

DURHAM, N.H. -- Senior co-captains Kaitlyn Skelley (Wolfeboro, N.H.) and Katie White (Glens Falls, N.Y.) both recorded two goals and an assist to propel the University of New Hampshire field hockey team to Sunday afternoon's 5-3 non-conference victory against Sacred Heart University at Memorial Field.

UNH improved to 1-1 overall while SHU is now 0-2.

The Wildcats trailed 2-1 when Sarah Craigue (Concord, N.H.) tied the score at 32:47, just 77 seconds after the visitors had taken the lead. White set up the tally with a pass from the middle of the circle to Craigue, who jammed the ball into the open cage at the left post.

UNH was awarded an untimed penalty corner at the end of the first half, and the 'Cats capitalized to take a 3-2 halftime lead. The ball was stopped at the top of the circle for Emily Colton (Milton, Mass.), who pushed the ball to the left wing for Skelley and her low shot found the back of the cage.

Sacred Heart tied the game on Carisa Eye's unassisted tally at 40:37 as she scored down low off a rebound.

White gave New Hampshire its third lead of the game, 4-3, at 47:02 when she gathered a midfield pass from Brittany Jacobs (Frederick, Md.) at the top-left of the circle and backhanded a shot into the cage.

Skelley extended UNH's advantage to 5-3 with 10:05 remaining when she converted a centering pass from MacKenzie Stuart (Washington Depot, Conn.) into a goal.

SHU pressed to trim the deficit and were denied on one shot on a defensive save by Brooke Bercari (Bordentown, N.J.) at the right post. UNH goalkeeper Margaux Shute (Norridgewock, Maine), who finished with eight saves, preserved the Wildcats' two-goal advantage the rest of the way.

SHU goalie Ashley Del Greco was credited with six saves.

After 25 minutes of scoreless play to open the game, the teams combined for five goals in 10 minutes. White, with the assistance of Skelley, opened the scoring to give the 'Cats a 1-0 lead at 25:29. The Pioneers rallied to take a 2-1 lead when Colleen Carney scored from the top of the circle on a penalty corner at 27:36 and Jenna McLane backhanded a shot into the cage from the top of the circle at 31:30.

UNH returns to action Sept. 3 (1 p.m.) vs. Central Michigan at St. Louis University. The next Wildcat home game is Sept. 11 (1 p.m.) vs. Rider.

View: Mobile | Desktop