Women’s Soccer Battles to 0-0 Draw with Binghamton

DURHAM, N.H. -- Freshman goalie Mimi Borkan (Medford, Mass.) posted her second-consecutive shutout Sunday afternoon as the University of New Hampshire women's soccer team battled to a 0-0 draw with Binghamton in the conference opener.

The draw puts the Wildcats at 2-5-3 on the year while Binghamton is now 5-3-2.

Junior Jenna Shaddock (Halifax, Nova Scotia) recorded the first shot of the game for New Hampshire in the 27th minute of play, but the attempt went just wide of the target. Binghamton followed up with a pair of shots, one of which was saved by netminder Borkan.

Kennedy Nickerson (Niantic, Conn.) sent a shot at BU goalie Carrie Martin, but it was saved. At the end of the first stanza, the score was deadlocked, 0-0.

Borkan kept the score tied early in the second half when she made a save on a shot by Emily Nuss. Kristi Zarrilli (Gorham, Maine) notched a pair of shots in the 53rd and 56th minutes of play. In the 74th minute, Nickerson sent a corner kick into the box that sophomore Gabrielle Sloan (Stow, Mass.) connected with, however the header attempt went just wide of the net.

Binghamton's Rebecca Raber attempted to give the Bearcats the lead in the 85th minute, but her shot was saved by Borkan. Through two halves of play, the score remained 0-0 and the match was sent to overtime.

In the first overtime, freshman Anna Deweirdt (Seattle, Wash.) launched a shot at new Binghamton goalkeeper Gaby Gold, but the shot was saved. Murry followed up with a pair of shots, however was unable to convert. Borkan made a pair of saves in the period to preserve the 0-0 tie. 

In the opening minute of the second overtime stanza, Borkan made a point-blank save on a shot by Binghamton's Emily Nuss. The Wildcats defended a pair of corner kicks in the stanza, one in the 105th minute and the other in the 106th minute. After 110 minutes of play, the score was finalized, 0-0.

Borkan made a total of seven saves in the match to earn the shutout. Her record now stands at 1-2-2. Overall, the Bearcats held a slight advantage in shots by a margin of 15-10.

The Wildcats are back in action Thursday, Oct. 3 as they stay at home for an afternoon tilt against Albany. Kickoff is set for 3:30 p.m. at Cowell Stadium. 

View: Mobile | Desktop