Borkan Earns First Career Shutout as Women’s Soccer Plays to Scoreless Draw at Holy Cross

WORCESTER, Mass. -- Freshman goalkeeper Mimi Borkan (Medfield, Mass.) of the University of New Hampshire women's soccer team earned her first career shutout making six saves as the Wildcats played to a scoreless draw at Holy Cross Wednesday night.

New Hampshire now sits at 2-5-2 on the year while the Crusaders are now 1-5-3 thus far.

UNH's Alexandra LaPorta (Denver, Colo.) lit the offensive spark for the Wildcats as she recorded the first shot of the game in just the second minute of play. The attempt was saved by Crusader goalie Carly McCabe. Borkan got her first test of the night in the 16th minute when Holy Cross's Alyssa Heiser fired the first shot-on-goal for the Crusaders.

Kirsten O'Neil (Hampton, N.H.) paced the offense in the first half for New Hampshire as she recorded a trio of shots, two of which were on net. Brianna Spitler (Montoursville, Pa.) notched two shots while on the other end, Borkan made a pair of saves in the first half.

Holy Cross increased its offense in the second half as the Crusaders recorded 10 shots, three of which were on target. Borkan made saves on each of the shots to preserve the 0-0 tie. Senior Colleen Murray (Bedford, N.H.) aimed a pair of shots on net for the Wildcats while classmate Kristi Zarrilli (Gorham, Maine) recorded the third shot on goal in the second half.

With 90 minutes in the books, the game was headed to overtime 

In the first overtime stanza, Hannah Blondin (East Hampton, Conn.) recorded a shot in the fourth minute of the period. HC's Annie Galvin put a shot on goal in the fifth minute of the period that Borkan saved while Gabrielle Sloan (Stow, Mass.) countered the attempt in the eighth minute of the period that was saved by McCabe.

In the 102nd minute of play, Kirsten O'Neil put a header attempt just high of the net as she connected with a corner kick from Murray. With just two seconds remaining, senior Kelsi O'Neil (Hampton, N.H.) tried to end the game with a victory as she blasted a shot at the Holy Cross net; however the shot was saved by McCabe. At the end of the match, the score remained 0-0. 

Borkan's six-save shutout effort was the first of her collegiate career. Her record now stands at 1-2-1. McCabe made 10 saves for Holy Cross to set her record at 1-5-3 on the year. Holy Cross edged the Wildcats in shots by a margin of 19-17.

New Hampshire returns home in its next match on Sunday, Sept. 29 for the America East Conference opener against Binghamton. Kickoff is slated for 1 p.m.
View: Mobile | Desktop