Second Half Rally Falls Short, Women's Basketball Edged Out By Central Connecticut, 53-52

NEW BRITAIN, Conn. – The University of New Hampshire women's basketball team rallied from 13 points down in the second half to tie the game 52-52 with 3.6 seconds remaining. However, a Central Connecticut State University free throw with one second left was enough to top the Wildcats by a score of 53-52 at Detrick Gymnasium Wednesday evening.

Central Connecticut improves to 2-2 in the non-conference match. New Hampshire is given its first road loss of the season, falling to 2-2.

Senior guard Kelsey Hogan (Nashua, N.H.) paced three UNH scorers in double figures, posting 15 points. Junior forward Kaylee Kilpatrick (Saint John, New Brunswick) notched her second double-double this season on 13 points and 10 rebounds. Kilpatrick also matched a career-high in blocks with four. Junior forward Corinne Coia (North Smithfield, R.I.) tallied 14 points while snagging eight boards. Coia and Hogan each swiped two steals apiece.

The 'Cats shot 18 of 51 (35.3 percent) from the field, including 3 of 13 (23.1 percent) from beyond the arc. CCSU compiled a .323 field goal percentage (21 of 65) and was 5 of 17 (29.4 percentage) from 3-point range. The Blue Devils outrebounded the 'Cats with a 50-36 advantage.

New Hampshire dashed out to a 6-0 run to open the game as Coia and Kilpatrick each drilled jumpers from the field. Central Connecticut rallied back on an 8-1 run as Brooke Bailey provided six of the eight points for the Blue Devils from the floor. New Hampshire would regain the lead as the 'Cats benefited six straight points from Kilpatrick to lead 15-12 with 5:43 remaining.

The Blue Devils would remain within striking distance as Jessica Babe would notch five of her seven points in the latter portion of the first half. However, a pair of 3-pointers from Hogan would counter the Blue Devil surge. An Ariel Gaston (Toldeo, Ohio) layup would be sandwiched between back-to-back field goals from Tejahne Malone as the Wildcats and Blue Devils would enter the half tied at 25.

CCSU would open the second half on an 8-2 run over a span of 3:10, powered by 3-pointers from Kaley Watras and Bailey Brooke. New Hampshire would counter, chipping the Blue Devils' lead down to down at 35-33 with 14:33 remaining. Central Connecticut would retaliate with a 14-3 run, fueled by a 10-point effort from Babe in a span of 5:36.

Facing its largest deficit of the match at 49-36, New Hampshire would stage a 13-point rally. The Wildcats would score 12 straight points, which was capped off by a 3-pointer from Elizabeth Belanger (Acton, Mass.) as UNH trailed 49-48 with 2:40 remaining in the second half.

The Blue Devils would build a four-point cushion at 52-48 as Lauren Arbogast drained a shot from beyond the arc with 2:09 remaining. UNH would erase the margin as layups from Kilpatrick and Coia tied the score at 52. On the ensuing drive, Belanger would pull down a missed jumper as the Wildcats called its last timeout with 3.6 seconds remaining.

Coia would receive an arching inbound pass from Hogan as she attempted for a layup. However, her bid rimmed out as both teams scrambled for the loose ball. The official called a loose ball foul on the 'Cats with one second remaining on the clock, sending Arbogast to the line. After missing her first free throw, she drained her second attempt. Hogan received the inbound pass but never could get the shot off as time expired, giving UNH a 53-52 defeat.

The Wildcats return to Lundholm Gymnasium as UNH will host Colgate University in a non-conference contest on Monday, Nov. 25 at 7 p.m. For tickets, visit or call (603) 862-4000, extension 5.

View: Mobile | Desktop