Worra Makes Eight Saves as Men’s Soccer Blanks Hartford, 2-0

DURHAM, N.H. – Junior goalkeeper Travis Worra (Lancaster, Pa.) made eight saves to tally his fifth shutout of the season as the University of New Hampshire men's soccer team blanked the University of Hartford 2-0 Wednesday night at home. Ugochukwu Uche (Ann Arbor, Mich.) and David Schlatter (Marlton, N.J) each notched a goal in the contest.

The win is the fourth consecutive and brings the Wildcats to 9-3-0 on the year and to 3-0-0 in America East play. Hartford falls to 8-3-2 overall and to 1-2-0 in conference action.

Hartford's Romario Jones recorded the first shot of the game in the fifth minute as he took aim at the New Hampshire net, but Worra made the save. The Wildcats picked up the tempo on offense minutes later, recording the next three shots of the game. Jeffrey Turner (Blandon, Pa.) sent a blast on net in the 26th minute that was saved by Hartford's David MacKinnon. Worra went on to make an additional two saves in the half while MacKinnon made the same tally.

At the end of the first half, the score was deadlocked, 0-0.

In the 50th minute of play, Uche notched his fourth goal of the season and third in as many games to give the Wildcats a 1-0 lead. The play originated with a long throw into the box by Connor Pauley (Londonderry, N.H.). Andrew Chaput (Manchester, N.H.) connected with the throw on a header attempt that hit the crossbar, but Uche knocked the rebound into the net with a header of his own for the goal.

Later in the 79th minute, Schlatter notched his first goal of the season to give the Wildcats a 2-0 cushion. Pauley launched another long throw that was headed away by the Hartford defense and out to A.J. Albers (Eagan, Minn.). Albers knocked a pass over to Byron Greenwood (Greenland, N.H.), who played a long ball into the box. Duff Thomson (Greenfield, N.H.) connected with Greenwood's service and headed the ball to Schlatter who in turn blasted the ball to the lower right corner of the net.

The Hawks kept knocking on the door, but Worra remained resilient and saved all five shots he faced in the half. With two halves in the books, the Wildcats prevailed, 2-0.

The eight-save effort helped Worra to his fifth shutout of the year and improve his record to 7-1-0. He has allowed just three goals all year for a nation-leading 0.36 goals against average and also a nation-leading .929 save percentage. MacKinnon made five saves on the seven shots he faced as he was credited with the loss for Hartford. His record falls to 7-3-1 on the year. New Hampshire held a 15-12 edge in shots.

The Wildcats are on the road in their next contest as they travel to eighth-ranked UMBC on Saturday, Oct. 19 for a night tilt. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. at Retriever Park.

View: Mobile | Desktop