New Hampshire men's hockey falls to Maine in overtime, 3-2

ORONO, Maine -- University of Maine defenseman Peter Metcalf (Pembroke, Mass.) scored with 1:33 remaining in overtime to give the Black Bears 3-2 victory over New Hampshire at Alfond Arena.

Metcalf's shot in traffic was the direct result of a rebound and yeoman work by forward Kevin Clausen (Hanover, N.H.) creating traffic in front of Wildcat goalie Ty Conklin (Anchorage, Alaska). Metcalf's initial bid was stopped by Conklin (32 saves) but Clausen tipped the rebound back to Metcalf who found space underneath Conklin's glove.

The game went into overtime courtesy of Black Bear forward Chris Heisten (Anchorage, Alaska). Heisten's second goal of the night at the 10:33 mark of the third period tied the score at two.

Heisten took a perfect drop pass from linemate Lucas Lawson (Braeside, Ontairo) and beat Conklin high to the blocker side with a wrist shot.

"I thought we played a relentless game," said Maine head coach Shawn Walsh. "We kept coming and in the second and third period, we really played well."

New Hampshire head coach Dick Umile agreed. "You've got to give Maine credit," Umile said. "We played well, they just kept after us the whole night."

Coming into the contest, the Black Bears were 0-7-1 when trailing after two periods and had not won an overtime contest all year.

Despite dominating the second period Maine went into the break trailing 2-1.

Darren Haydar (Milton, Ontario) put the visitors on top at 5:48 of the first period. The UNH junior camped on the left side of the Maine net, took a feed from Colin Hemingway (Surrey, B.C.) from behind the net and beat Matt Yeats (Innisfail, Alberta) (19 saves) through the pads.

The second period began with promise for Maine, Heisten knotted the score at one just three minutes in, following up a Brendan Donovan (Boston, Mass.) attempt in front.

Heisten took a Niko Dimitrakos (Somerville, Mass.) feed in the left circle and flipped a perfect pass to the far side of the net to a waiting Brendan Donovan. Donovan's attempt was stuffed by Conklin. Heisten, who had followed the pass into the crease, collected the loose puck and beat Conklin high.

But with just over two minutes remaining in the period, Hemingway made an outstanding individual play to give UNH its second lead of the night.

Taking a Jim Abbott chip along the boards in the Maine zone, Hemingway skated across the left circle and deked Black Bear freshman defenseman Francis Nault (Tracy, Quebec). Alone with Yeats, Hemingway went above the glove and the Wildcats took a 2-1 lead into the intermission.

"We were a little disappointed with the way the second period turned out," said Walsh. "They only had one legitimate opportunity to score, and Hemingway made a great play."

The loss was especially frustrating for the Wildcats, who are winless in their last five games (0-4-1).

"Things haven't been going our way," said Umile. "We're not getting the bounces right now. We've just got to find a way to turn it around."


View: Mobile | Desktop