Top 20 Moments 2012-13: Part I (20 thru 16)
DURHAM, N.H. - The University of New Hampshire athletic department has started its countdown of this past year's most memorable highlights. The countdown features a four-part video series including 20 moments from the year that was, highlighting big wins, record-breaking performances and awards. The first part in the series showcases moments 20 through 16.
20. The Top 20 countdown kicks off with the Wildcat women's soccer team. The 'Cats were able to extend their postseason run to 12 straight America East Tournament appearances, and hosted Stony Brook at Lewis Fields on October 23. Under the guidance of new head coach Sam Lopes, the Wildcats will look to make it 13 straight playoff appearances come fall.
19. On March 9 at Penn State, the UNH gymnastics team scored a 49.425 on floor exercise to shatter the school record. Kayla Gray (Buffalo, N.Y.) led the way with a career-high 9.925 while teammate Austyn Fobes (Howell, N.J.) equaled her personal best with a 9.900. Hannah Barile (Sinking Spring, Pa.) and Jannelle Minichiello (Tewksbury, Mass.) also contributed with career-high scores of their own.
18. The Wildcat volleyball team started off America East conference play with a perfect 4-0 mark, including seven straight wins overall, and a road victory over eventual conference champion, Binghamton (Sep. 15 - Oct. 5). The Wildcats put together back-to-back sweeps of Providence and Dartmouth amid a span of eight-straight set wins. Morgan Thatcher (Brockton, Mass.) led the 'Cats in kills in each of the seven victories.
17. In front of a senior day crowd at Lundholm Gym on March 3, the men's basketball team completed a season series sweep of Maine for the first time since the 1994-95 season. Ferg Myrick (Philadelphia, Pa.) led the charge with a career-high 27 points, including 22 in the second half. Chandler Rhoads (Berryville, Va.) and Patrick Konan (Gainesville, Fla.) added 13 points apiece.
16. On April 17 at Cowell Stadium, the women's lacrosse team helped secure an America East playoff appearance with a 13-12 win over Boston University. Jenny Simpson (New Canaan, Conn.) and Nicole Grote (Ellicott City, Md.) recorded three goals apiece to lead the Wildcat offense and the 'Cats never trailed in the contest. A late surge by the Terriers was stymied by Amber Casiano's (South Windsor, Conn.) goal with 20 seconds remaining, sealing the triumph for the Wildcats.
Fans, follow the countdown all month long when you visit UNHWildcats.com, or join the fun by tweeting us your favorite moments at @UNHWildcats using #UNHTop20 on Twitter. For more information, visit UNHWildcats.com or Like UNH Wildcats on Facebook.