Borkan Backbones Women’s Soccer to 0-0 Draw with Dartmouth

DURHAM, N.H. – Freshman Mimi Borkan (Medfield, Mass.) of the University of New Hampshire women's soccer team made eight saves en route to a 0-0 draw with intrastate rival Dartmouth College.

The draw puts the Wildcats at 3-5-5 on the year while Dartmouth is now 4-4-2 overall. 

Senior Kristi Zarrilli (Gorham, Maine) took the game's first shot in the eighth minute of play that went just wide of the target. Dartmouth's Corey Delaney fired a shot at Borkan's net in the 12th minute, but the goalkeeper stood strong and made the saves. Emma Brush attempted to give the Big Green the lead in the 23rd minute, but Borkan made the save.

New Hampshire's Colleen Murray (Bedford, N.H.) answered the Dartmouth attack with a shot of her own in the 24th minute, but Dartmouth keeper Tatiana Saunders corralled the shot and made the save. Jackie Friedman notched a shot in the 34th minute that the Wildcat defense blocked. At the end of the first stanza, the score was tied, 0-0.

Borkan made her fourth save of the night in the 67th minute on a shot attempt by Dartmouth's Hayley Snyder, keeping the Big Green attack at bay. Sophomore Kirsten O'Neil (Hampton, N.H.) attempted to break the stalemate in the following minute as she blasted a shot that was saved by Saunders.

Murray nearly got New Hampshire on the board in the 78th minute when she struck the ball from nearly 25 yards out but hit the crossbar in the top right corner of the net. Kelsi O'Neil (Hampton, N.H.) started the play as she threw the ball inbounds to Kirsten O'Neil. Kirsten O'Neil played a one-touch pass to Murray who in turn took the one-time shot.

Zarrilli garnered the rebound and played the ball to Meghan Ledwith (Yardley, Pa.). Ledwith played the ball into the box that Alexandra LaPorta (Denver, Colo.) shot out of the air and at the Dartmouth net, but the shot went just high of the target.

Borkan kept the score locked at 0-0 as she made an additional two saves in the remaining portion of regulation. Through 90 minutes of play, the game was headed to overtime.

As time expired in the first overtime period, Dartmouth's Lucielle Kozlov took a shot that went into the net on the far side. Initially ruled a goal, the play was ultimately overturned after a discussion amongst the officials, ruling that the clock had run out before the ball went into the net. After an additional 10 minutes of extra time, the game ultimately ended in a 0-0 draw.

Borkan made a total of eight saves in the contest to earn her fourth shutout of the season. Her record stands at 2-2-4 on the year. Saunders made a total of four saves to receive the decision for Dartmouth. Her record stands at 4-4-2.

The Wildcats return to action Sunday, Oct. 13 as they travel to conference opponent Vermont. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m.

View: Mobile | Desktop