Cohen Records Five Points as Women's Lacrosse Doubles Up Stony Brook, 12-6


DURHAM, N.H. – Junior captains Ilana Cohen (Andover, Mass.) and Hayley Rausch (Severna Park, Md.) recorded five points apiece to lead the University of New Hampshire women's lacrosse team to Saturday afternoon's 12-6 victory against Stony Brook University in America East action at Memorial Field.

UNH, with its fourth consecutive win in the series vs. the Seawolves, improved to 7-6 overall and 2-2 in America East with its third consecutive home win. Stony Brook is now 4-9, 1-4.

Cohen, UNH's selection as America East Player of the Game, matched her career high of three goals and also had two assists to match her personal best of five points. She was also credited with two ground balls and two caused turnovers. Rausch finished with two goals and a career-high three assists.

Kate Keagins (Bay Shore, N.Y.), Allie Duclos (South Windsor, Conn.) and Jenny Simpson (New Canaan, Conn.) also recorded multiple points. Keagins (two goals, one assist) had three points while both Duclos (1g, 1a) and Simpson (2g) tallied two. Duclos was also credited with five draw controls, two caused turnovers and one ground ball. Keagins added two GB and two DC.

Kathleen O'Keefe (Chatham, N.J.) matched her season high of eight saves and also had two CTO. Cori Rees (East Hampstead, N.H.) contributed two ground balls and three draw controls.

SBU was led offensively by Samantha Djaha (3g) and Victoria Cable (2g). Tara Gerstacker tallied a game-high six ground balls as well as three caused turnovers to garner the team's America East Player of the Game. Mickey Cahill surrendered 12 goals and stopped 12 shots. Jamie Carlson played the final 1:38 of the game and did not face a shot.

UNH built a 5-0 lead in the opening seven minutes of the game as Rausch factored in each of the first four goals. Meghan Bridges (Sandy Hook, Conn.) finished a feed from Rausch at 29:26 to quickly give the Wildcats a 1-0 lead. Rausch then ripped a shot from the top of the fan into the upper-right corner of the goal at 26:21 and she struck again at 25:36 – this time when she one-timed Cohen's pass at the left doorstep – to extend the advantage to 3-0.

Rausch then set up a goal by JoJo Curro (Amherst, N.H.) at 23:21, which prompted a Stony Brook timeout. UNH's Rees gained possession on the ensuing draw control, however, and Keagins drove down the middle of the fan to give the 'Cats a 5-0 lead just 10 seconds later.

The Seawolves methodically trimmed the deficit to 5-3 in the next 13 minutes. Cook scored on a left-wing drive at 21:19, the Djaha split a double team at the top of the fan, charged the net and scored on a low shot to pull the visitors within 5-2 at 15:14. Cable then utilized her height to catch a high pass in traffic five meters from the goal and she battled through a pair of defenders before scoring at 10:10.
SBU controlled the ensuing draw, but Rees forced a turnover and Chelsea Cyester (Parker, Colo.) corralled the ground ball. UNH had an extended possession in which Rausch fired a shot wide of the cage, as did Duclos on a free-position shot. The Seawolves then advanced the ball downfield but O'Keefe preserved UNH's two-goal lead when she denied Kaitlyn Harrison at 5:34.

The 'Cats had another extended possession in which Cahill turned aside Rausch at 4:34, but New Hampshire maintained control and Cohen, on the right wing, scored on a shot inside the near post at 2:16 to give UNH a 6-3 lead.
UNH took that 6-3 lead, as well as the edge in shots (21-8), draw controls (7-3) and ground balls (7-3) into halftime.

Abby Ford was set up behind the net and found Djaha alone at the right post for her second goal as Stony Brook opened the second-half scoring at 27:43 to pull within 6-4.

The Wildcats scored goals eight seconds apart – at 15:46 and 15:38 – to regain momentum. From behind the net, Rausch sent a high pass low in the circle that Cohen swept past Cahill into the goal to make the score 7-4. Keagins then corralled the ensuing draw control and quickly passed the ball ahead to Simpson, who was alone on the right wing. Simpson cut to the front of the goal and scored to establish a four-goal margin.

SBU's Cook gathered the draw control to set up a free-position shot by Cable that was stopped by O'Keefe. The Seawolves maintained possession, however, and Cable, off Alyssa Cardillo's pass from the middle of the fan, scored on a close-range shot inside the right post at 12:26 to make the score 8-5.

New Hampshire then netted goals 55 seconds apart – at 10:11 and 9:16 – to reestablish its largest lead of the game to that point (five goals) at 10-5. On the top-left side of the fan, Cohen fed the ball in the middle to Duclos, who was approaching from the opposite wing. Duclos stopped, turned and fired a shot inside the right post to give the 'Cats a 9-5 advantage. Duclos then won the draw control, which set up Keagins' goal at 9:16 when she cut from the top-left side to the center and took aim inside the left post.

Stony Brook called its second timeout. UNH gained possession of the ensuing draw but quickly turned it over to the Seawolves. Jamie DePetris (Radnor, Pa.; three ground balls) then collected a loose ball, however, which led to Simpson's second goal of the game and an 11-5 lead at 7:31. Duclos, with the pass from the left side, was credited with an assist on Simpson's sidearm shot.

Cohen scored on a free position from the top of the fan at 3:35, then Djaha closed the scoring at 1:34.

UNH finished with the edge in shots (34-16) and draw controls (15-5). The 'Cats also committed one less turnover (16-17) while the ground balls were even at 13.

New Hampshire continues its three-game homestand April 23 against the University of Vermont. Game time at Memorial Field is 2 p.m.

View: Mobile | Desktop