PROVIDENCE, R.I.  Alexa Webster (Aurora, Colo.) scored four goals and Natalie Jones (Penn Yan, N.Y.) matched her career high of 11 saves to lead the University of New Hampshire women’s lacrosse team to Sunday afternoon’s 9-7 non-conference victory at Brown University.


UNH snapped a three-game losing streak with the victory to improve to 2-3 overall. Brown is now 1-5.

In addition to Webster, Ashley Durepo (Concord, N.H.) scored two goals and Moira Talbot (Marblehead, Mass.), Sarah Von Bargen (East Setauket, N.Y.) and Shaunna Kaplan (Framingham, Mass.) each recorded a goal and an assist to give the ‘Cats five players with multiple points.


The Wildcats scored the first two goals of the game to take a 2-0 lead and Brown never pulled even thereafter. Durepo scored her fifth goal of the season at 25:07 when Kaplan’s pass from behind the net found Durepo on the right wing and she cut to the net for the goal. Off the ensuing draw control, Talbot’s pass from behind the net hit Webster in front and her one-timer found the net at 24:40.


Brown pulled within 2-1 at 19:11 on an unassisted tally by Mimi DeTolla (four goals, assist). The ‘Cats reestablished a two-goal lead at 15:41 when Von Bargen fired a pass from the left wing to the middle of the fan, where Webster once again executed a quick catch-and-shoot to score.


Meghan Markowski, off a feed from DeTolla, lifted the Bears within 3-2 at 14:29 but the home team would not strike again in the first half.


Talbot was awarded a free position at the top of the fan and fired a bounce shot between the legs of BU goalkeeper Melissa King (eight saves) at 11:56. A flurry of UNH shots late in the half resulted in Kaplan’s tally at 3:31 when she collected the ball near the right post, rolled behind the net and scored on a shot from the left post to give the ‘Cats a 5-2 halftime lead.


Behind three goals from DeTolla – offset by a Durepo’s free-position goal at 24:18 -- the Bears closed within 6-5 at 20:40. Webster’s third strike of the game, this time on a free position shot, gave UNH a 7-5 advantage at 18:28.


Bethany Buzzell scored the Bears’ third free-position goal of the game at 14:42 to once again close within one goal, 7-6, and prompt New Hampshire to call time out.


The Wildcats gained possession off the ensuing draw control and scored at 12:23 when Von Bargen maneuvered through the defense from the left wing to the front of the goal. Webster, who entered the game with three goals on the season, netted her fourth tally of the game when her shot on a free position from the left wing sailed inside the near post at 9:10.


Brown, trailing by three goals, called time out at that point and pulled within 9-7 on a goal by Lauren Vitkus at 5:29.


Jones preserved UNH’s two-goal advantage by denying DeTolla on a shot from the top of the fan with five minutes remaining. The ‘Cats held the ball for the next three minutes before Brown regained possession. Jones then made another save on Jesse Nunn’s shot from the top of the fan with 1:45 to play, then denied Markowski 20 seconds later.


UNH maintained possession the rest of the way to secure the victory.


New Hampshire returns to action March 20 at home against the University of Massachusetts. Game time at Memorial Field is 3 p.m.

View: Mobile | Desktop