Herman Records 29 Saves as Women's Hockey Skates to Scoreless Tie at #7 Boston College

CHESTNUT HILL, Mass.Kayley Herman (Weyburn, Saskatchewan) stopped all 29 shots she faced as the University of New Hampshire women's ice hockey team skated to a 0-0 tie Saturday afternoon against seventh-ranked Boston College in Hockey East action at Conte Forum.

UNH is now 14-15-2 overall and 7-12-1 in Hockey East. The Wildcats are now tied with Maine for sixth in the league standings but Maine, which has completed its regular season, holds the head-to-head tiebreaker; therefore, UNH must record a tie or win in the Feb. 20 (2 p.m.) regular-season finale at home vs. BC to advance to the Hockey East tournament as the sixth – and last – seed.

BC, which has already secured the second seed in the upcoming league tourney, moved to 20-6-6, 12-4-4. Molly Schaus finished with double-digit saves all three periods of regulation (11-11-18) and stopped two shots in the five-minute overtime for a total of 42.

Herman, who recorded her second consecutive shutout and 16th of her career to move into a tie for third place on the program's all-time leaderboard, made 13 saves in the first period and 10 in the second, as well as two in OT.

The Eagles recorded a 13-11 shot advantage in the scoreless first period. UNH generated a dangerous chance in the opening minute of play when an errant outlet pass went the length of the ice but was tracked down in the left circle by Kristina Lavoie (Fonthill, Ontario) to negate an icing call. Lavoie fed a centering pass to the slot and the charging Julie Allen (Brampton, Ontario) chipped a shot towards the net, but Schaus, who was also charging from the crease, enveloped the puck just as it left Allen's stick.

In the eighth minute, a shot by Courtney Sheary (Melrose, Mass.) from the right point was blocked by an Eagles' skater. The puck ricocheted to the slot, where Lavoie fired a one-timer that Schaus blocked aside.

Midway through the opening frame, BC's Blake Bolden controlled a loose puck in the high slot and her shot through traffic was snared by Herman, who was well in front of the crease to get a view of the puck.

UNH had an 11-10 edge in shots in the scoreless second stanza. The Wildcats created a 2-on-1 rush in the eighth minute when Molly Morrison (South Burlington, Vt.) snapped a pass through the neutral zone to Emma Clark (East Barre, Vt.). Clark continued into the left circle and slid a pass back across to Sarah Campbell (Saratoga Springs, N.Y.), whose initial shot and attempt off the rebound were stopped by Schaus.

Just past the midway point of regulation, BC's Danielle Welch fired a shot from the right circle that tipped off the top of Herman's glove and landed behind her in the crease. Courtney Birchard (Mississauga, Ontario) swept the puck away from the open net.

Four minutes later, Allen's indirect pass off the boards in the defensive zone sprung Arielle O'Neill (St. Catharines, Ontario) and Lavoie in an odd-man rush. O'Neill carried the puck along the right dashers and, from the faceoff dot, fired a shot stopped by Schaus.

With just over one minute remaining in the second period, Hannah Armstrong (Aurora, Ontario) stole the puck in the high slot, charged towards the net and wristed a shot from the hashmarks over the cage.

UNH went on its fourth power play of the game at 3:01 of the third period and moments later, Birchard's slap shot from the high slot was redirected in front by O'Neill but Schaus made the save and scurried to cover the puck. At the conclusion of the skater advantage, Maggie Hunt (Naperville, Ill.) blasted a shot from the right point that O'Neill tipped, but once again Schaus was in position to stop the puck.

Midway through the final frame, Herman gloved a one-timer off the stick of BC's Taylor Wasylk at the right faceoff dot.

One minute later, Armstrong led a 2-on-2 rush down the right wing and saucered a pass across to Kristine Horn (Utica, Mich.). Horn's bid was stopped by Schaus, who also denied Armstrong on the rebound at the left post.

Boston College had a 5-on-3 power play for 58 seconds at 14:17 but UNH did not allow a shot during that span or in the remaining 62 seconds of the 5x4 power play.

UNH went on the power play at 16:35 and called time out at 17:18. The Eagles were whistled for another minor penalty at 17:36 to give the 'Cats a two-skater advantage for 59 seconds. The 'Cats pressured and generated three shots during that span, then had another 5x3 power-play opportunity for 44 seconds when BC was sent to the box again at 18:52. With 15 seconds remaining in regulation, Sheary snapped a shot from the slot that was knocked down by Schaus. Lavoie corralled the rebound at the front doorstep and was denied twice by the BC netminder.

The Wildcats carried 52 seconds of power play time into the extra session. In a quick attack, a Birchard wrister from the slot was denied by Schaus, who also turned away O'Neill off the rebound at the left doorstep.

New Hampshire went on its eighth power play of the game at 2:45 of overtime. The 'Cats did not record a shot on goal during that skater advantage, but Campbell's one-timer from the right faceoff dot did ricochet off the near post with 50 seconds on the clock.

This marked the third time this season that UNH ended regulation in a scoreless tie. The Wildcats had previously prevailed vs. Niagara University (Oct. 29) and lost at Colgate University (Oct. 9).

This was the third scoreless tie in UNH's 34-year history. The 'Cats skated to a 0-0 draw Jan. 30, 1999 (vs. Minnesota) and Feb. 19, 2005 (at Connecticut).

UNH's six-member senior class will be honored prior to opening faceoff of the Feb. 20 regular-season finale at the Whittemore Center.

View: Mobile | Desktop