Hogan Scores Game-High 25 Points in Women’s Basketball’s 76-63 Loss to Stony Brook

STONY BROOK, N.Y. – Senior guard Kelsey Hogan (Nashua, N.H.) registered a game-high 25 points on 9 of 14 shooting, but the University of New Hampshire women's basketball team had its four-game winning streak snapped by Stony Brook University, 76-63, at Pritchard Gymnasium Sunday afternoon.

New Hampshire falls to 14-9 overall and 8-2 in America East. The Seawolves improve to 17-7, 8-3.

Sophomore forward Corinne Coia (North Smithfield, R.I.) registered double-digits scoring effort of 11 points. Junior guard Ariel Gaston (Toledo, Ohio) chipped in six points, six rebounds and three steals.

The Seawolves recorded three scorers in double figures. Sabre Proctor led SBU with 21 points on 7 of 10 shooting. The junior forward was also 7-for-8 from the free throw line. Guards Miranda Jenkins and Kori Bayne-Walker pitched in scoring efforts of 17 and 10 respectively. Senior guard Chikilra Goodman corralled a game-high 12 boards.

UNH shot 25 of 58 (.431 field goal percentage) from the floor. Stony Brook drained 26 of 51 field goal attempts (.510), including 16 of 26 (.615) in the second half.   

UNH and SBU traded the first 14 points of the match at seven apiece in the opening five minutes. After a trey from Hogan, Proctor gave the Seawolves their first lead of the game at 11-10 on a pair of free throws followed by a jumper from the left side.

Coia momentarily gave the Wildcats the lead back on a layup with 11:12 to go in the first half. Proctor and the Seawolves retaliated with a 3-pointer to spark a 6-0 run. 

Gaston interrupted the SBU streak with a dribble-drive layup as the Wildcats trailed, 16-14 with 8:29 left in the first half. In spite of the UNH basket, the Seawolves strung together another 6-0 run, raising the score to 22-14.

New Hampshire used the 3-ball to cut into Stony Brook's lead in the latter portion of the first frame. Gaston, Kristen Anderson (Greene, Maine) and Sarah-Marie Frankenberger (Gross Gerau, Germany) buried shots from beyond the arc to pull within three points at 26-23 for the 'Cats. Stony Brook held onto the lead at halftime with a five-point advantage of 30-25. 

The Wildcats struck first in the second stanza as Coia notched a layup to open the scoring. However, the Seawolves were able to compile a 10-2 run to stretch their lead to 40-29 with 16:20 left in the second half.

Hogan ignited a 7-0 run to reduce SBU's lead down to four. In spite of that, the Seawolves jolted ahead on a 12-2 run to lead 52-38 with 9:55 left to play. UNH could not jumpstart the offense again as Stony Brook upped the score to 62-44, its largest lead of the match.

New Hampshire slashed the deficit down to 10 as part of a 10-2 run on contributions from Coia, Gaston and Hogan. The Wildcats found themselves trailing, 64-54 with 4:27 remaining in the second half.

The Seawolves offense came back alive in the waning moments of the game, preserving their double-digit cushion. The Wildcats continued their scoring but could not muster a defensive stop. New Hampshire could not rally as Stony Brook handed the 'Cats the 76-63 loss and earned a split in the season series.

The Wildcats remain in the Empire State as UNH clashes with Binghamton University for an away contest on Wednesday, Feb. 12 (7 p.m.). UNH returns to Durham on Sunday, Feb. 16 (2 p.m.) to take on the University of Hartford for its National Girls and Women in Sports game streamed live on ESPN3. For tickets, visit www.unhwildcats.com or call (603) 862-4000. 

View: Mobile | Desktop