DURHAM, N.H.- Two goals from Sophomore A.J. DuBois (Acworth, N.H.) and one from Chris Banks (Westborough, Mass.) were enough to see off the visiting Fighting Irish of Notre Dame, 3-0, in the final contest of the University of New Hampshire men's soccer spring season on Friday, April 18. In the late afternoon sunshine and against the backdrop of Cowell Stadium, the UNH Wildcats more than matched Notre Dame, NCAA Quarter Finalist in 2007, who were in the Northeast to open Dartmouth's new soccer stadium.

On 16 minutes came the game's first clear cut chance as UNH worked the ball cleverly across to Richie Weinrebe (East Providence, R.I.), whose deep cross found its way through the ND back line to Banks. Banks' first touch and snap shot was excellent, but could only force an even better save from the ND goalkeeper.

Joe Annese (Attleboro, Mass.) and John Bergqvist (Hollviken, Sweden) had to be alert to the constant threat of Notre Dame's attacking pace. Twice Notre Dame countered down UNH's right flank, but Annese's good work with Weinrebe was enough to snuff out the threat. Weinrebe had a different approach to dealing with the pace of his man as he crashed into the Notre Dame attacker on 35 minutes.

UNH dealt the first blow in the 43rd minute as Kyle Urso (Lombard, Ill.) intercepted a square pass under pressure and raced 50 yards down field before slipping the ball to Dubois to beat the ND goalkeeper from 12 yards out. The timing and execution of such a counter attack couldn't have been better and UNH justifiably led 1-0 at halftime.

In the 53rd minute, UNH executed on a free kick from goalkeeper Chris O'Donnell (Springfield, Mass.), which was flicked on by Dubois to Banks, who had timed his run perfectly past the ND backline. However, Banks still had much to do, as his first shot was blocked by the ND goalkeeper, only for the rebound to fall into his path for the wide-open goal. Banks made no mistake second time around, acrobatically volleying home to make the score 2-0.

Ten minutes later, a superb piece of soccer saw UNH work the ball from left to right into Weinrebe's path. Weinrebe had the vision to find Banks on a deep diagonal ball, and the lone striker's selfless pass found Dubois on top of Notre Dame's penalty area. Dubois took the pass in stride and confidently curled the ball around the outstretched arms of the Notre Dame goalkeeper to cap off a superb team performance.

The result caps off a fine spring season for the Wildcats, scoring 11 goals, and conceding none in 370 minutes of action.
View: Mobile | Desktop