DURHAM, N.H. - Brendan Hankard (Glastonbury, Conn.) netted a pair of goals, including the eventual game-winner, as New Hampshire downed Northeastern 3-2 in America East men's soccer action at Lewis Field Saturday afternoon. UNH improved to 7-3-0 overall, equaling its 2001 win total, while evening its America East record at 1-1. Northeastern falls to 3-6-2 overall and 0-1 in the league.

New Hampshire, playing at home for the first time in over a month, extended its home winning streak to six games and home unbeaten streak to nine. Both streaks date back to the 2001 season.

The Wildcats would get on the board in the 25th minute. Eric Masi (York, Maine) passed a ball up from midfield to Logan Lee (Racine, Wis.). Lee came down the left side, and when NU keeper Sergio Saccoccio (3 saves) came out to play the ball, Lee moved around him and fired into an open net from 15 yards.

The Huskies would tie the game at the 31-minute mark, when Benni Prueske headed a ball past UNH goalie Mike Vignola (Hudson, N.H.) (2 saves). Prueske took a pass across the box from Andrew Hickey. Hankard would net the first of his two tallies 2:09 later when he headed in a long restart pass from Tyler Jackson (Amherst, N.H.). Jackson delivered the pass from near the right sideline and Hankard headed it home after it bounded through the box.

Hankard increased UNH's lead to 3-1 4:33 into the second half. Hankard took a pass from Doug Lawver (Doylestown, Pa.) on a restart and scored on a 10-yarder in the middle of the box. Northeastern closed out the scoring with 4:59 to play when Anatha Kirkopoulos converted a penalty kick after he was pulled down in the box.

New Hampshire outshot the Huskies 13-11. The win was the first over Northeastern for the Wildcats since the 1998 season.

UNH returns to action this Wednesday (Oct. 9) when they travel to Vermont for a 3:00 p.m. game. The next Wildcat home game is Sunday, October 13, when New Hampshire entertains Albany in a 2 p.m. contest at Lewis Field.

View: Mobile | Desktop