Box Score
ORONO, Maine – With a pair of goals in the second and third periods, the fifth-ranked University of New Hampshire men’s ice hockey team captured a weekend and season sweep by virtue of a 4-1 win over Maine on Saturday night at Alfond Arena.

The Wildcats improve to 18-7-1, 14-4-1 Hockey East play, while the Black Bears are now 8-15-3, 4-11-3. The sweep of the Black Bears is the first in Hockey East play and first since the 1982-83 season. UNH has now won nine-straight against league opponents and their fifth-straight overall. With the win, the Wildcats have secured a berth in the Hockey East tournament.

Sophomore forward Bobby Butler (Marlborough, Mass.) drew first blood for the Wildcats at 9:18 in the second period. Senior defensemen Brad Flaishans (Glendale, Ariz.) found Butler at center ice. Butler took a wrist shot from the top of the right circle beating Maine’s Ben Bishop gloveside. Senior captain Matt Fornataro (Calgary, Alberta) scored the second goal with 17:18 left in the second stanza. Kevin Kapstad (Boxborough, Mass.) connected with Mike Radja’s (Yorkville, Ill.) pass from the blue line. Kapstad quickly found Fornataro in front of the crease for the eventual game winner.

UNH extended the lead to 3-0 when Danny Dries (Lake Orion, Mich.) scored on a rebound of a Radja shot at 12:47. Fornataro also had an assist on the tally. The Black Bears broke up the shutout at 14:46 in the third as Jeff Marshal scored with an assist from Simon Danis-Pepin. The Wildcats answered that goal with a goal of its own at 15:35 as Radja capitalize on a mistake by Bishop, who was caught too far out of the net.

In a scoreless first period, Maine held a slim shooting advantage at 10-9. The Black Bears had two power play opportunities compared to UNH’s one. Maine could not capitalize on a number of scoring opportunities. With :51 second left in the second period, Maine thought they had scored their first goal of the night but it was quickly called back because the whistle had blown prior to the shot.

Kevin Regan (South Boston, Mass.), who captured his ninth-straight against Hockey East foes, finished with 28 saves including 12 in the second stanza. He improves to 16-5-0. Bishop tallied 20 saves, nine in the first period, moving to 8-15-3.

UNH is next in action when it concludes its current five-game road trip on Friday, Feb.15 at Providence. Puck drops at 7 p.m. at Schneider Arena. The Wildcats’ next home game is Feb. 16 (7 p.m.) vs. Providence College.
View: Mobile | Desktop