Men's Basketball Outlasted by Stony Brook, 61-52

STONY BROOK, N.Y. – Senior guard Alvin Abreu (Lynn, Mass.) finished with his second highest scoring total of the season notching 20 points, but the University of New Hampshire men's basketball team fell to Stony Brook University, 61-52, on Monday evening at Pritchard Gymnasium.

The loss drops New Hampshire to 6-10 overall and 1-4 in America East play while Stony Brook ups its record to 10-7 and 5-1 in conference action. The Seawolves have won seven of their last eight decisions.

Abreu claimed America East Player of the Game honors for the Wildcats, adding two assists, one rebound, one block and one steal to his line. He shot 7 of 13 from the field, 4 of 7 from deep and 2 of 2 from the charity stripe.

Patrick Konan (Gainesville, Fla.) chipped in with 15 points, three boards and one block.

New Hampshire outshot Stony Brook 47.6 percent (20-42) to 46 percent (23-50) from the floor and 40.9 percent (9-22) to 26.7 percent (4-15) from beyond the arc.

Stony Brook opened the contest on a 14-5 run, as Al Rapier fueled the scoring spurt with the opening six points on a scoring stretch that lasted 10:16. UNH halted the SBU offensive attack when Scott Morris (Walkersville, Md.) found Chandler Rhoads (Berryville, Va.) on a fastbreak for a layup at 9:44.

From there the Wildcats strung off seven unanswered to even the score at 14-14 with 7:13 remaining in the first frame. Brian Benson (Rochester, N.Y.) ended the stretch when he grabbed his own rebound on a free throw miss and slammed it home, polishing off a scoring spurt that lasted 2:31.
Despite the run, New Hampshire couldn't reclaim the lead, but managed to knot the score two more times in the closing moments of the first half. UNH evened the score for the last time in the first half when Abreu sank a pair of free throws to make it 21-21 at 2:45.

The Seawolves responded scoring on back-to-back possessions when Tommy Brenton dropped in a layup and Eric McAlister knocked down a trey, putting the home team up 26-21 with 1:27 remaining. Abreu answered the call once again for the 'Cats, nailing a trifecta on a feed from Jordon Bronner (Sleepy Hollow, N.Y.) with 57 seconds on the clock, sending Stony Brook into the locker room with a 26-24 lead at the break.

Both squads exchanged baskets for the first three minutes of the second stanza, until the Seawolves created some separation with a 17-4 run that was capped off with a pair of Rapier free throws that set the score at 48-33 at 8:26.

Ferg Myrick (Philadelphia, Pa.) helped right the ship, knocking down a trey from the left wing to spark a 17-9 run that trimmed the score to 57-50 with 1:31 remaining in regulation. UNH outscored SBU 7-2 in the final 1:11 of the spurt, as Abreu ended the run with a trifecta of his own to trim the deficit to single digits for just the second time in the last 10:48 of regulation.

Despite SBU being in the bonus, the Wildcats were forced to foul and sent Anthony Jackson to the charity stripe and he knocked down a pair of free throws to push the lead to nine, 59-50, at 1:15. Konan sank a running jumper in the lane on the other end, but after a change of possession the Wildcats were forced to foul to stop the clock, sending Dave Coley to the line and he put the game away, sinking both shots to finalize the scoring.

The Wildcats are back in action when they return home to take on Boston University on Thursday, Jan. 19 (7 p.m.) at Lundholm Gymnasium.
View: Mobile | Desktop