Pohlmeyer's Late Goal Lifts No. 20 Field Hockey Past Dartmouth, 2-1

HANOVER, N.H.  – Meg Flatley (Townsend, Mass.) scored early and Casey Pohlmeyer (Millersville, Md.) struck late to lead the 20th-ranked University of New Hampshire field hockey team to Sunday afternoon's 2-1 victory against Dartmouth College at Chase Field. 

UNH extended its winning streak to six games to end the regular season with a 13-6 overall record. The Wildcats are the top seed and host of the America East Championship – for the fourth consecutive year – by virtue of their 5-0 conference record. UNH battles Fairfield University in a Nov. 7 (2 p.m.) semifinal. The University at Albany and University of Maine play in the second semifinal (5 p.m.) at Memorial Field.

Dartmouth is now 7-9.

"I'm pretty pleased with our possession time and generating chances with 22 shots and 15 corners, and we just weren't able to finish on a lot of them," UNH head coach Robin Balducci said. "It was certainly a challenge to come back after playing Fairfield on Friday but we were able to get the win." 

Flatley scored a goal for the third consecutive game when her unassisted tally gave UNH a 1-0 lead at 4:53. Pohlmeyer, with the assistance of Kellie Joyce (South Pomfret, Vt.), put the Wildcats back in front, 2-1, at 62:04.

UNH goalkeeper Carlie Tarbell (Wakefield, Mass.), who had blanked each of the last five opponents, saw her shutout streak end at 404 minutes, 50 seconds when the Big Green's Maggie Scanlon scored on a penalty corner to tie the score, 1-1, at 49:56. She finished the game with eight saves and Megan Bozek (Cortlandt Manor, N.Y.) made a defensive save, her team-leading fourth of the season.

DC goalie Ellen Meyer was credited with 11 saves. 

Dartmouth generated a scoring opportunity in the opening minute of the game, but Tarbell denied Ali Savage.

The 'Cats took the lead when Flatley corralled a loose ball in the circle and fired a shot past Meyer into the cage for her team-leading 14th goal – and 34th point – of the season. 

Tarbell turned aside a shot by Eliza Becker in the ninth minute and New Hampshire seized momentum beginning with a Melyssa Woods (Glens Falls, N.Y.) shot wide in the 12th minute. Two minutes later, Flatley was denied by Meyer.

New Hampshire recorded four consecutive corners in the 16th minute. Bozek was stopped by Meyer on the first two chances, and then Bozek's shot on the last one was blocked by a Big Green defender. 

In the 18th minute, UNH generated two more corners. Bozek's bid was once again blocked aside by Meyer, and then the goalie denied Pohlmeyer. Four minutes later on another UNH corner, Bozek's blast was stopped by Meyer.

Dartmouth finally slowed 'Cat attack and produced a shot in the 24th minute by Scanlon that Tarbell turned away. Meyer once again stopped Woods in the 31st minute and then the Big Green generated its heaviest pressure in the game. 

In a 30-second span, Tarbell made a save against both Savage and Scanlon, who was also denied off the rebound by Bozek's defensive save. The flurry continued with two more shots on target by Savage, but Tarbell stopped both chances to preserve UNH's 1-0 lead.

With just over one minute remaining in the first half, UNH generated its ninth corner and this time Pohlmeyer's shot was blocked by a defender. The Wildcats took that one-goal lead into halftime with an 11-8 shot advantage and 9-0 edge in penalty corners. 

The 'Cats continued to attack in the opening 10 minutes of the second half. It started with a shot on goal by Hannah Richard (Hopkinton, N.H.), who entered the game with a four-game goal-scoring streak, in the 39th minute. Less than one minute later, UNH generated three consecutive corners that resulted in Richard's shot on target and another by Chandler Giese (Trappe, Pa.) that was blocked. In the 45th minute, Richard's shot was blocked but produced another corner in which Bozek's blast went wide of the cage.

Dartmouth started to gain momentum in the 48th minute with consecutive corners that yielded shots wide by Becker and Savage. The Big Green capitalized on another corner to level the score, 1-1, at 49:56 when Scanlon redirected Olivia Quaglia's direct shot into the cage. 

New Hampshire called time out at 54:58 and slowly regained momentum. In the 59th minute, Pohlmeyer's shot on a corner was struck wide. On a second corner, Bozek was yet again denied by Meyer.

The Wildcats converted their next corner into Pohlmeyer's goal – Joyce extended her assist streak to four games on the play – and 2-1 lead at 62;04. 

The Big Green would not go quietly, however, as Scanlon hit a shot wide in the 67th minute and Tarbell had to make a save against Savage with 1:37 remaining. DC pulled Meyer in favor of an extra field player with 58 seconds on the clock, but UNH kept them at bay the rest of the way to secure the victory.

UNH finished with a 22-14 shot advantage and 15-2 edge in corners.

View: Mobile | Desktop