Flatley, Woods Score Late Goals to Propel Field Hockey Past #7 UMass, 3-2, in OT

AMHERST, Mass. -- Meg Flatley (Townsend, Mass.) and Melyssa Woods (Glens Falls, N.Y.) scored late goals to erase a two-goal deficit and the University of New Hampshire field hockey team scored 10:15 into overtime to record a 3-2 victory against seventh-ranked University of Massachusetts at Garber Field on Friday afternoon.

UNH extended its winning streak to three games to improve to 4-4 overall. UMass is now 7-3.

UNH goalkeeper Carlie Tarbell (Wakefield, Mass.) recorded eight saves, including three in overtime. UMass counterpart Sam Carlino stopped four shots and Hannah Prince was credited with a defensive save.

With the score tied 2-2 in the extra session, the Wildcats scored the game-winning goal when Megan Bozek (Cortlandt Manor, N.Y.) struck an entry pass into the circle that eluded teammate Emma Compagna (Canton, Mass.) but deflected off Carlino into the cage for an own goal.

"UMass is obviously a very good team and had a lot of success against big teams, but really the measure for me is that we were able to come back to score two goals to tie it and then to finish it off in overtime," UNH 23rd-year head coach Robin Balducci said. "We worked very hard for it and I'm so happy for the players."

The teams played to a scoreless first half in which UMass recorded the edge in both shots (5-1) and penalty corners (3-2). The Minutewomen threatened early with a corner 66 seconds into the game, but Allie Sabia's shot was stopped by Tarbell. The home team earned another corner, but did not generate another shot.

UMass earned another corner in the 10th minute and this time Prince's shot went wide of the cage.

UNH pressured in the 20th minute and a penalty corner produced Woods' shot that was turned aside by Carlino. It led to a second corner, but not a second shot.

UMass' Charlotte Verelst was denied by Tarbell at 22:30 and Verelst's shot at 29:10 was blocked by a Wildcats' defender.

Early in the second half, the team's exchanged scoring chances with UMass' Alexa Sikalis shooting wide at 37:30 and UNH's Fatley firing wide a 38:35.

UMass capitalized on a penalty corner to take a 1-0 lead at 39:57. The battery of Prince and Sikalis set up Verelst's direct shot that was redirected into the cage by Lauren Allymohamed.

Less than three minutes later, Tarbell kept the 'Cats within one goal when she stopped Nicole Miller's shot. UMass sustained pressure and was awarded a corner in which Brooke Sabia was turned aside by Tarbell.

The Minutewomen recorded their sixth corner in the 50th minute and this time Prince's shot was blocked aside by a UNH defender.

UNH generated a shooting barrage -- all off the stick of Compagna -- beginning in the 52nd minute. Compagna's initial shot was stopped by Carlino, and then she fired the rebound wide. Less than one minute later, Carlino once again denied Compagna. Compagna's next shot at 53:08 beat Carlino, but Prince was in position to sweep the ball out of the goalmouth to preserve UMass' one-goal lead.

The Wildcats called time out at 56:37, but the Minutewomen scored 46 seconds later to extend their advantage to 2-0. Miller carried the ball into the circle on the right side and scored on a shot inside the far post. 

UNH began its comeback with another corner in the 64th minute that produced a Casey Pohlmeyer (Millersville, Md.) shot wide of the cage. The 'Cats trimmed the deficit to 2-1 at 66:11 when Kellie Joyce (South Pomfret, Vt.) sent a pass across the circle that Flatley, positioned near the left post, redirected into the cage.

UMass responded with a shot at 66:43 by Miller that Tarbell stopped and Sikalis' shot at 67:09 was wide.

The Wildcats' late push generated a corner and Woods scored off a rebound to tie the game, 2-2, at 69:04. 

New Hampshire had the first scoring opportunity in overtime but Flatley was stopped by Carlino at 71:33. The 'Cats earned a penalty corner 30 seconds later, but were denied a shot.

UNH then relied on Tarbell to extend the game, as she turned aside Brooke Sabia at 75:09 and again – this time on a penalty corner – at 76:00. UMass had a second corner, but the Wildcats' defense did not allow a shot. Tarbell was called upon once again, and the junior goalie stopped Verelst's shot at 78:42 to keep the score deadlocked.

The Minutewomen finished with the edge in shots (16-11) and corners (8-5). 

New Hampshire returns to action Sept. 29 at home against regional rival Harvard University. Game time at Memorial Field is 2 p.m.


View: Mobile | Desktop