– Michelle Tavener (Winchester, Mass.) scored an unassisted goal at 5:34 of overtime to lift the University of New Hampshire field hockey team to Friday night’s 2-1 non-conference victory against Harvard University at Memorial Field.
    UNH improved to 1-5 with the victory and Harvard is now 0-4.
    With the score tied 1-1 at the end of regulation, the Wildcats continued their second-half momentum into the extra session. In the fourth minute of overtime, Tavener swung a pass from the top of the circle to the right side, where Sarah Craigue (Concord, N.H.) gathered the ball and fired a shot across the goalmouth just wide of the left post.
    UNH continued to control play, setting up a penalty corner one minute later. Craigue put the ball in play to Tavener at the top of the circle. She maneuvered through the defense down the middle, drifted to the right and fired a shot inside the left post to end the game at 75:34.
    New Hampshire goalkeeper Margaux Shute (Norridgewock, Maine) was credited with four saves, three of which came in the first half. Harvard counterpart Kelly Knoche also stopped four shots, including one in overtime.
    Harvard controlled play in the first half and generated a 5-1 shot advantage. The Crimson also took a 1-0 lead in the opening half when Aline Brown, amidst a crowd in the middle of the circle, redirected a long hit by Francine Polet into the cage at 9:59.
    UNH turned the tide early in the second half as, off a penalty corner, Emily Colton (Milton, Mass.) had a dangerous shot from the top of the circle that was deflected wide by Knoche’s leg pad.
    Then in the 48th minute, Shauna Sellenger (Londonderry, N.H.) redirected a long, bouncing entry pass from Gabby Cafone (Fairfield, N.J.) just wide of the left post. Minutes later, the Wildcats generated a flurry of shots as the initial shot by Colton was stopped by Knoche and follow-up shots by both Cafone and Colton were blocked by defenders.
    New Hampshire called time out at 55:23 and the continued momentum led to a UNH penalty stroke at 57:10. Colton capitalized with a hard shot towards the left post to tie the game, 1-1.
    The Wildcats still pressed offensively, and Sellenger nearly ended the game in regulation when, standing alone on the left side, she redirected a crossing pass just wide of the near post in the 66th minute.
    UNH recorded a 9-2 second-half shot advantage and had a 14-8 edge overall.
    New Hampshire returns to action Sept. 17 at home against Sacred Heart University. Game time at Memorial Field is 1 p.m.

View: Mobile | Desktop